Weird transmission issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 09:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird transmission issue

Hey there everyone. I would to pick the brains of those more knowledgeable than I about my transmission. As the title says, I have a weird issue that kinda popped up on it's own. To be clear though I did have a issue with it over heating once and puking trans fluid all over. I ended up not driving it for a while, the added some fluid and it seemed to drive and shift fine driving around town. However, if I took it out on the highway it would slowly start climbing up the temp gauge. So I quit driving it on the highway. All is well for a couple of weeks, til one morning I drive it to work. The truck starts fine, backs up great, goes into drive great, driving down the block it shifts fine with no shuttering or grinding noises. Just as I get to work, wich is only a couple of blocks away btw, it all of the sudden acts like there is nothing there. Almost like a manual with the clutch going out. I had to rev the motor up just to get it crawl to a parking spot. So the I worry about it all day til I get off and get back to my truck. Does the same thing over again. Barely made it to the house. I haven't driven it since. Sorry about the long post, but what do you guys think it could be? Trans is fried? Tq converter fried? Both? Oh btw it's a 97 f250 with e4od and 186000 mile on her. Any help is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 06:19 PM

Any one? Bueller... Bueller.... I really want to get this fixed. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:03 PM

To the top again.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:33 PM

not sure if this will help you out but my truck started loosing reverse it would have reverse when the trans was cold but once it got warmed up it would slip real bad I ended up getting the trans rebuilt it wasnt cheap either but I had no choice
Old 04-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Smoked the tc and more than likely the entire Trans. Pump failure is likely the root cause of all issues. Way back when when it first got hot.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 while my wife is yelling at me for being on my phone...
Old 04-21-2012, 03:29 PM

So should I start with just a torque converter first them try the trans after that if out doesn't work? Problem is money is, of course, really tight now. I have been searching craigslist high and low and can't find anything used less than 400 miles away. That or I'm going to have just save quite a bit longer.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus617 View Post
So should I start with just a torque converter first them try the trans after that if out doesn't work? Problem is money is, of course, really tight now. I have been searching craigslist high and low and can't find anything used less than 400 miles away. That or I'm going to have just save quite a bit longer.
Drop the pan and see what the fluid looks like. If it ameels burnt and you have alot of derbis in the bottom of the pan its done. You would be wasting your time and $$ on a tc that would get ruined. You should be able to get a stock rebuild for 1600-2000. Check out the classifieds section here on the ORG. Check Ebay... Call around to your local shops and get some numbers. Atleast you'll know what your looking at for cost.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 while my wife is yelling at me for being on my phone...
Old 04-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do a quick check of your brake lights, high mount included. That will cause torque converter lock up issues.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If he's driving a few blocks to work, I'm assuming this is city driving at speeds of 35mph. TC doesn't lock up until this point so that won't be the issue.
At the very least you toasted the TC. If the these problems started when you overheated the trans, i'm going to say pump failure was the cause of that.
Hate to say it, but you're probably looking at a new trans. E40D's don't take the heat very well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.