Hard shifts...bouncing speedo...cruise disengaging - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard shifts...bouncing speedo...cruise disengaging

Hey all, just pulled truck out to try and get road worthy. Had IDM failure last year and drove in a limp mode about ten miles. Replaced IDM and motor runs fine but tranny is kicking hard on up/down shifts, I mean neck snapping hard! Replaced VSS cause speedo was bouncing above 70, Ford genuine and now speedo is worse and my cruise wont stay engaged above 50 mph. Bounce is about 15 mph at fwy speeds. Pulled rear cover to inspect gear and found 2 slightly damaged teeth about 180 apart on gear. Tranny is also into O/D by 40 mph unless I run truck WOT through the gears, @ WOT tranny shifts smoother also. Dealer had me bypass connector and solder on VSS pins and still same issue. I'm lost, no codes, no O/D light flashing. Don't know anything about trucks history other than the odometer is not correct, people sold it to me were crooked. Any ideas would help. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

mine does the same thing. did you have a tranny put in? i did. only had the truck 2 months so i do not know if it was doing it prior purchasing it.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:51 PM

yep.

Bought my truck with a new ford tranny. shifts way early into overdrive unless its floored. so i replaced the vss. and installed 4.11 gears. still have the same porblems. speedo also shakes since i installed the gears also i reprogrammed the speedo. ive been looking for help for months
Old 04-01-2012, 05:20 PM

Put in a used cluster...speedo is better but still bouncing...still shifting hard!...off to tranny shop I guess???
Old 04-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

post up in the OBS flame free zone or OBS chat
Old 04-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

You didn't have anything filled out on your signature so not sure what you are running or if OBS trucks are different, but I havea friend with a SD that had a TruSpeed calibrator go bad on them and cause similar problems. Removed that and the speedo quit bouncing and transmission worked like it was supposed to. He ended up recalibrating the PCM for the speedo after that and tossing the truspeed in the trash.
-Aaron
Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 AM

Mine shifts into O/D by 46 mph...diesel chugs along but same thing unless I'm at WOT...doesnt seem right???

'96 PSD crew long
Old 04-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Premium Member

For what it is worth, my SD locks the converter at 40 and goes into OD at 45, but does go into OD at higher RPMs with more throttle pressure.
-Aaron
Old 04-03-2012, 04:35 AM
Transmission or Injectors

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Replace your speedometer (PSOM), they tend to get flaky as they get older, and depending on how rough of a ride they have had, the worse they are.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:29 AM

Just put one in...seems better but still jumping a little...going to try another sensor in diff....problem with original speedo got worse after replacing sensor with OE ford part
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.