97 Powerstoke tranny issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 03:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 Powerstoke tranny issues

I apologize if this is a duplicate question, but I couldn't find anything that I thought related to my issue. First, I'm not sure what model of transmission I have in my 97 F250 4x4 supercab with the 7.3 turbo. It works fine when it is cold, but after about 30-40 miles, when I slow down or stop, it doesn't want to shift from 1st to 2nd without letting off the throttle. Then at about 30mph it seems to shift hard into OD. It also doesn't seem to down shift until I get well below 20-25 mph. I don't seem to be getting codes, nothiing is flashing anyhow. Can anyone point me in the general direction of what might be wrong? I'm quite mechanically inclined, but have to admit this is my first diesel so I'm new to these. thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I should also add it seems to shift pretty good when I shift manually. It does seem to slip right through 3 gear and go right into OD. The cruise does work. Is there a check engine light on the diesels like a gas engine I should be looking for to see any codes? Thanks again.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think I'm going to do a tranny flush and filter change, and since I have the pan off I may replace the solenoid. any thoughts??
Old 12-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I took the truck to a tranny shop and the only code they could pull off was the CPS fault. I have had no problems with how the truck runs, just the mentioned tranny issues. Would it be possible this sensor will affect the shifting of the transmission as well? Can anyone help??
Old 12-03-2011, 07:26 AM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Didnt see this till now....
You have a E4OD trans if you didnt already find that out. The cps doesnt have anything to do with the shifting. It could be a solenoid issue, is your fluid burnt?
Old 12-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It doesn't smell or look burnt, it's nice and red. I changed out the CPS sensor and I had a feeling it wasn't going to fix it. I kept the old one as well. Since it has gotten colder here in WI, I does go further before I start to notice the shifting issue. I got 30-35 miles today before I noticed it. I was learning more towards the solenoid control, I haven't changed the fluid yet, I wanted to wait and see what the tranny shop found. So I think I will do that today and see what happens.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

By the way, nice looking truck, especially for WI. Mine can only hope to look that nice, I have a pretty much rust free 1/2 I'm going to take the body parts off of for my Powerstroke.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thanks, it consumes me.........and money lol
She is spoiled rotten
Old 12-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Im willing to bet either a sticky accumulator valve or more then likely your intermediate clutch is on the way out. Trust me, mine is in the shop as we speak. I am getting hosed. If the guy had not beat around the bush on his price for a rebuild I would have ordered a BTS for 4500. Looks like im paying 4k taxes in labour included to have a rebuild factory spec, twin disc converter Alto clutches and an updated snap ring. To top it all off the transmission failed on my way home from having my suspension freshened to the tune of 730 bucks. IDM failed not 3 weeks ago, and I just had to order tires today for 310 a tire as mine are bald and the bad weather is coming. My nerves are shot and so is my line of credit. The **** you do for the things you cherish.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I haven't had a chance to change the fluid in it and change the filter. Now that the temp has dropped here in WI it seems to go much longer before the above mentioned issues occur. I did change the CPS and now when the truck is cold it will stall out I'm putting the old one back in this weekend. Luckily it isn't my daily driver so I can afford to work on it as I have time. I really hope I don't have to put a tranny it right now, I'd like to try and get some money set aside to ease the pain a little. Man, I feel your pain, that sucks, I guess when it rains it pours, huh? thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.