Transmission overheating - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Transmission overheating

I am new to the forum and am looking for some thoughts or advise on my 1996 F250 crew-cab with Auto Transmission 152,000. The truck is stoke except for a powerchips programmer used on Tow-safe and a HD TC on the transmission which was put in 2 years ago because of a blown seal while pulling a horse trailer up a mountain road and I lost all fluid. The tranny shop said that everything else looked good but now i am having issues with it overheating every time i pull something. I don't have a temp gauge but i can reach down and grab my 4-wheel drive shifter and it is hot. I stopped at a rest stop this weekend after pulling a small 25ft fifth-wheel camper for about 200 miles at 70mph and noticed that i was leaking tranny fluid which appeared to be coming from up near the fill tube and blowing back under the truck while driving. I have also had issues with the truck not wanting to back up when i first get in it but seems to be fine after it works through the gears. I plan on taking it back to the same tranny shop but am wondering if anyone has any ideas on what i can expect?
Thanks,
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Have you checked you cooler?? If its running through just the rad still you probably plugged up. Have you ever had it flushed?? Your definatly goona want to add a stand alone cooler to it either way. Get a 6.0 cooler and you wont see temps over 150 ever... I haul a 5ton excavator with my truck and the highest i have ever saw was 140 and that was up a very steep grade...

Hopfully you didnt smoke the trans and are not looking at a rebuild. If you are you"ll want to go with a billet triple disc converter, all steel planets, and aupdated VB or shift kit. Also install an SD pan, they have drain plugs.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I forgot to mention that i have been getting what i think is bad fuel mialege also, i was only getting about 10 while pulling the camper and 13-14 without the camper. I was getting around 2 years ago. I just changed the oil, air & fuel filter before going on the trip!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My cooler is just going through the radiator. Unless this is plugged up it should work fine to pull a 25ft fifth wheel with out heating up the tranny shouldn’t it? I would think I would only need a stand alone if I was pulling heavier loads and more often. I do notice that the truck seems to shift and run a lot better if I change the superchips setting to Perf-Tow.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is it normal for a motor not to rev when it is cold? I have my EPBV disconnected and i know it is not the issue but have read other articles about not having power when cold due to the IPR. I can hold my pedal to the floor after warming up for 5 min and it will not free rev almost like it is not pushing the fuel. I think this is part of the reason my truck will not move until it is warmed up and not even part of the tranny issues.
Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.