PLEASE HELP!! anything will help me! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PLEASE HELP!! anything will help me!

i have a 1997 f250 4x4 psd with what seems to be MAJOR tranny problems to me.
i recently bought this truck for 1900 bucks because ive been around obs and 7.3 all my life. now on to my problem...

im telling you guys my full story to maybe get a better response.

before i bought it i asked the guy if it was a "leaker" and he told me not the engine on this one but the tranny does tend to get a little wet. He said that before i buy it he will have it taken down to his tranny shop for a tune up and get it to stop leaking. now i know enough not to trust craigslist, but for some reason this guy was very nice and seemed to know what he was talking about and told the truth. this truck was a work truck and has 212k on it. well he called me up 3 days later and said the truck was done. so i bought it, thinking 1900 bucks i couldnt go wrong.

a couple days later, after coming home from school i parked it in my driveway, come out about an hour later and there is a foot wide puddle of tranny fluid under it. i didnt think anything of it and just refilled the tranny and cleaned up the mess. now i was driving it a couple weekends ago and after the tranny got hot and i came to a stop, it stalled. so i started it back up and went on and it would not shift into second. after i got it to shift, and shifted freaking hard it was slipping all over the place and didnt want to go. so i get it home and look underneath and the whole underside of the truck is just coverd in tranny fluid. so bad it was dripping off of my rear diff. and it all looks like its coming from my torque converter. i refilled the tranny once again and i think its to far gone to be just refilled. it still wont shift and leaks

if someone knows whats going on, you would be a life saver. sorry for the novel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2011, 03:45 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sounds like he played the old sawdust trick on you...

What does it do in reverse? Sounds like the TC or maybe the pump... Can you tell where the fluid is coming from?

BTW you are kinda lucky that you didn't torch the thing. There's a guy here on the ORG that has a vid of his truck burning to the ground. He believes the cause was trans fluid leaking on the exhaust...
Old 09-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks for the response. im in the process of cleaning the underside of the truck so i can find where it is coming from. it is most wet right where the tranny meets the block. there are a couple stripped tranny bolts but they are on the way back by the transfer case and ive heard these pans like to warp? he said he had the tranny rebuilt but the shop was not very reputable... which threw up a red flag. but being young and reckless and against my dads thoughts on the truck, i bought it anyway.

when i go in reverse it stalls sometimes, and sometimes it has its days where the truck wont shift at all. and also when i put it in reverse it takes a second to actaully engage. and when it engages it slams and stalls. made me wonder if my TC wasnt locked? i hooked up a code reader and it didnt pull anything.

what is this pump you guys talk about? not to good on trannys but thats not the first time ive heard something about a pump on or in the tranny that may be bad on the truck.

if it gets bad enough, im going to a recking yard and pulling everything i need to swap this damn thing to a 5 speed. that would be my last option since i have never trusted automatics in any of my trucks, unless its had work. i bought the truck because it was a SCLB 4x4 PSD. auto tranny was the only downfall.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:51 AM

That's most likely a....

My guess is the front pump seal went(between the converter and pump). That would pump all the fluid out of the trans in short order.

Most likely driving it that low on fluid has finished it off. At the very least it has to come out to fix that, and it's probably unwise not to at least peek inside and see if there is any other damage.

He probably didn't feel like yanking the trans to fix. Too bad he didn't just let you know, he probably could have charged you to fix it. That is of course assuming that he was aware it was a problem.

Sorry for your woes,

Lawrence
Old 10-04-2011, 01:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Anytime the tranny comes out on these the front pump should be replaced just for added security. REPLACE THE FLEXPLATE ALSO and get the internals checked over. Get the tranny pulled and get it done right so your tranny headaches are gone!
Old 10-13-2011, 03:13 PM

my 99 4r100 pissed tranny fluid outa the tourque convert cover one day. befor that it would act up and not go into lock up every now and then, that was 2 weeks ago.. still havnt driven it, just started it. it works fine if i put fluid in but it only last about 5 min befor to much leakes out and the converter drains. im with ya bud im plan on puting a zf5 or zf6 in as soon as i get my hand's on one. i belive my pump went cuz thats where all the fluid is commen from and a bad pump would cuz the converter not to go into lock up.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:53 PM

4r100 pumps go out all the time. Replace it and upgrade the torque converter and flexplate and you will be good for your 99 for stock use.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks for all the help guys. i think im just going to pull the thing and do a zf5 swap. will the zf6 bolt up to these? i have access to one for very cheap if they do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.