shifting late or not shifting smoothly - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
shifting late or not shifting smoothly

I have a 97 F 250 with an automatic and overdrive. I was gone last weekend at fort Carson and my roommate was using my pickup. Monday when leaving for Wyoming I jumped in the truck to find that when I would get on the accelerator the truck would not shift gears, it would simply run up to about 2600 rpms. If I leave a stop light and accelerate slowly it shifts. Also it has been shifting from low one to the second gear pretty hard. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am really hoping that it is something other than a new transmission in my future.
Thanks
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Power Strokeaholic

RULE #1. NO ONE DRIVES MY TRUCK BUT ME!!* my dad did once when we were at the dealer getin it but still.

check the fluid level if you havent. also maybe change the filter. could be that the fluid is to low and on hard accel. the fluid sloshes to the rear of the pan out of reach of the pick up. ???

* Unless I'm, there then almost anyone can drive.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

This sounds like a sensor issue ,Get a scan tool on it and check for codes.I'm leaning toward a bad TPS, or posibile Nuetral switch out of adjustment.Checking codes will tell you.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Power Strokeaholic

could be a sensor but i have a '77 F-100 with a C-6 and it did the same thing and the fluid was low because of a hole in the cooler. replaced cooler and filled it back up and it was perfect. but like he said check for codes.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Yes,on your C6 that could have worked well being that it is controlled by vaccum and mostly mechanical.The E40D is total electronic ly controlled trans,it monitors TPS signal and contols shift points based on that signal .
This is not to say servicing the trans would not help with shift issues ,I just believe that the problem is electronic related and checking codes should answer the question.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Power Strokeaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by harald@bd
Yes,on your C6 that could have worked well being that it is controlled by vaccum and mostly mechanical.The E40D is total electronic ly controlled trans,it monitors TPS signal and contols shift points based on that signal .
This is not to say servicing the trans would not help with shift issues ,I just believe that the problem is electronic related and checking codes should answer the question.

agreed.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not to high jack your thread, but the companies work truck is a 96 with an auto trans. Lately, well today and last fri. it has been acting really strange. Last fri I was on my way back to the yard and was on I-5 in OD and all of a sudden it just jumped out of gear like it was in neutral?? So I did'nt know what to do I hit the brakes alittle and gave it the go pedal a little, nothing changed. So I slowed way down and shifted to 2 and that gear worked but drive and OD would not. So I limp it another 5 miles and it completely shuts off on me and I have to wait about an hour to get towed Bad alternator, fixed.
However today on the way home, again, with steady throttle the trans does not want to stay in OD and it sounds like I'm going to blow the motor at 50 mph. But give it just the slightest throttle and it will go into OD, go steady again and it kicks out. It was driving me crazy! Any sugesstions?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Any codes,this could be several different things causing these conditions.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There probably is codes but I don't have a scan tool any more, and its the companies truck that I work for. I forgot to add that the ABS light has been staying on also. The boss was saying something about a sensor behind/on the brake pedal that causes the wierd shifting. He is going to take it to a guy who fixed a similar problem in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.