transmission or clutch? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 02:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
transmission or clutch?

I have a 1997 F250 5speed 190,000k and When i go to put my truck either L, 2nd or reverse the truck is very hard to get into gear...also when starting attemping to start the truck i must be standing on the clutch pedal for it to start(last time this happened it was the clutch pedel assembly)also when shifting into 4th sometimes it will grind....now what? The clutch doesn't slip btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's most likely either the clutch hydraulics, or the linkage up to the master cylinder pushrod. One common culprit is where the "knob" on the linkage off the pedal goes through the eye-hole on the pushrod. There's a craptastic plastic bushing there that, when it wears, the pedal doesn't push the pushrod far enough. Two effects of this: (1) doesn't close the starter lockout switch, so it's hard to start, and (2) doesn't fully open the clutch, so it's hard to shift (grinds). Sounds exactly like your troubles.

Two fixes - one involves cutting off that eye and replacing it with a Heim joint, available on eBay. The other is less elegant, but simpler. Cut the four "ears" off that crappo plastic bushing, put it back on, and on the part of that "knob" that protrudes through the eye-hole, you put on a drill stop collar (the kind you put on drill bits), 7/16", and tighten it down. You can also completely replace the plastic bushing with a little piece of brass tubing, 1/2" OD x 7/16" ID, cut to fit in the eye-hole. I've done this on both our trucks; both are working perfectly going on two years.

It might also be the master/slave themselves, but with the starting issue, it's more likely the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.