Installed 4in exhaust today tranny wont go into gear - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installed 4in exhaust today tranny wont go into gear

I installed 4 in exhaust today on my 97 f350 p stroke with an auto tranny, took it out for test drive and got to the corner and went to take off and tranny wouldn't do any thing. I got out shut the truck off and looked for anything looking wrong couldnt find it. they when i started it back up it took off but only for about 100 feet then it acts like the tranny went out. Is it a vacum issue or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Never herd of the before. An exhaust install shouldn't have any affect on the transmission. Try unhooking the battery terminals and letting the truck sit for a while to reset the computer. Good Luck
Old 07-23-2011, 01:02 PM

Yeah... this is a first...
Old 07-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I tried to unhook batteries and reset computer but it did nothing, I drove the truck to and from work yesterday w no problems and it's never acted up before the previous owner said the trans was rebuilt about 30,000 miles ago. It acts like it needs back pressure or something it only drove about a half mile so it can't be a temp issue. When it did move at first it acted like it needed to be reved to built enough pressure for it to move. This one has got me stumped and an angry wife!!
Old 07-23-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke Troy View Post
I tried to unhook batteries and reset computer but it did nothing, I drove the truck to and from work yesterday w no problems and it's never acted up before the previous owner said the trans was rebuilt about 30,000 miles ago. It acts like it needs back pressure or something it only drove about a half mile so it can't be a temp issue. When it did move at first it acted like it needed to be reved to built enough pressure for it to move. This one has got me stumped and an angry wife!!
so its running like its underpowered? you didnt leave the parking brake on did you?
Old 07-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nope i never use the parking brake, It's strange It takes off fine but a little weaker than normal then about 100 feet down the rode the truck revs up because it's like my trans fades away until it just sit's there in gear and revs up like it's in neutral. now it back home and about every 4 time i start it or so it will go into gear but when i back up w it and go to drop it in drive it doesn't move and i have to shut it off and try to keep starting until one of the time it will drop into gear.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:00 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

It's unlikely it happened so fast, but I've heard of aftermarket downpipes rubbing holes in the tranny cooler lines on these OBS's. I originally put a cheap
MBRP downpipe on my truck, and had to rig up a little something to prevent it from touching the lines. Now I have a full Diamond Eye system on my truck and it fits much better.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide App
Old 07-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It never had a chance to rub through I only put it on 2 hours ago and drove 1/2 mile now in the drive way it moves about every 6 times i start it but if i rev it above idle it just revs and stops moving. Do you think my torque converter took a **** that fast just by punching it leaving the driveway, I did'nt have my chip on and I also just installed that last week to it's a ts performance chip.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:50 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

Maybe its just a huge coincidence...? It's not unheard of. I really can't think of any way that installing an exhaust would affect tranny function

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide App
Old 07-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does anyone know how to check to tell if my torque converter is shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.