shifting twice? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
shifting twice?

when driving around 30 35 mph my trans will shift into over drive and run at 1000rpms, it basically skips 3rd gear and into 4. also the first inch of the depression of the peddle gives me nothing then when pressed slightly more jumps to 1000rpms i have no control to drive between idle and 1000. i have heard it could be many things but before i buy a handful of sensor and relays i thought i would ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2011, 06:17 PM

Does that weird go-pedal behavior happen even when not in gear? If so, it could be "dead pedal", caused by the idle switch on the pedal not responding when it should. Do a search here and on those, er, other sites for "dead pedal" for more info, but in a nutshell, the switch works like the one in the fridge door; it opens (or is it closes? whichever...) when you push the pedal off the idle position. Sometimes it gets out of adjustment, and doesn't do what it should until you've pressed the pedal quite a distance. The fix is to bend the little tang that the switch is on so that it responds more readily. Be careful not to over-adjust it, 'cuz if you overshoot, you don't get any idle. But that's an oversimplification; like I said, search is your friend.

Dunno if this will also take care of your shifting problem, but it might. Be worth looking into first.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Got a buddys truck the goes from 2-4 under full throttle, he still hasnt gotten it to me to figure it out lol
Old 05-08-2011, 07:31 AM

i'll check out the dead peddle forums see what i can find,
and if he ever gets the truck to you and you figure it out let me know please, cause that what mine does i can be going 35 into a 40 degree grade and it shift to 4, really bothering me lately and can't be good for the trans
Old 05-31-2011, 06:19 AM

my truck does the same thing, im not sure if its the trans or the ts chip
Old 08-09-2011, 09:45 PM

apparently the tps on my truck is the one from the 460. The pedal assembly is perfectly out of alignment. with no pressure on the pedal the tps is already rotated a little and the idle position switch is also off making for a big jump in rpm when the idle switch clicks off. if i were to buy a new pedal assembly does it come with Tps and idle position switch or not?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:50 AM

The pedal assembly SHOULD have the position sensor and idle switch built-in. That's really all that the pedal is on our trucks. Remember, there's no actual throttle, so the "throttle" position sensor is really just the pedal position sensor. So the whole point of replacing the pedal is to get the new sensor / switch. A new one is crazy spendy; start checking around here and on the "nation" for someone selling one. Or maybe you'll find one on eBay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.