5 speed conversion, cruise does not work - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 11:50 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5 speed conversion, cruise does not work

95 f350 converted to 5spd. I put in a manual trans pcm. I put in the clutch safety switch, it had the connector under the dash. When i plugged it in it would only start w/the clutch depressed like it should, but when i unplug the auto harness from the engine compartment it would not start at all. Also the cruise control does not function. Is there something i'm missing here?? thx steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Okay, you unplugged the auto trans harness. Did you get the harness with the manual trans? It will plug in the same place for things to work correctly.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:43 PM

harness

No, I still need to source that harness. I was under the impression that the reverse light wires were all that's in the harness, but i guess there may be some jumpers in it. Does it have to be diesel specific or can any manual trans harness work? Is there anything from the column shift that needs to be unplugged or have a different harness plugged in? Thanks, Steve
Old 04-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Electrical Ogre

I'm sure there is a neutral sensing wire, and a starter wire that are jumpered in the manual harness
Old 04-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

the auto pcm would have worked just fine, they do the same job.(if u install a manual pcm in an auto u lose overdrive control- that's the only problem-i've done this swap b4)
the connector under the dash where u plugged in the neutral safety switch-remove that and install the bridge plug that comes stock in an auto.(u don't really need the seafety switch) the harness that went to the auto will have the wiring in place for u to hook up the backup lights( u just need to figure which ones they r----if u have issues with this i have a factory wiring scematic for it)
cruise control - i think i swopped out the little box for the manual one(it was about 5 years ago so i'm not sure)
Old 04-24-2011, 09:05 AM

harness issue

I think the cruise module needs to see a few things, like the brake/light switch, the clutch position switch on the clutch master cylinder rod, and the idle validation switch. The brake switch would turn the cruise off when activated as well as the clutch position switch if you press the clutch in. I think the idle validation switch needs to be recognized because your foot will be off the throttle?

I still need the harness to the trans or if someone has wiring diagrams/pinouts for both the auto and manual trucks i can convert the auto harness to manual..not many trucks around here in the yards that are manual, especially the diesels thx steve
Old 04-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Electrical Ogre

Unless you are working on an IDI truck, there won't be a cruise module. Cruise control is built into the PCM.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i have pics of the cruise control circiut and the tranny circiut- go to my profile and check in the album "my truck". u should be able to zoom in on them to check em out.
alberta7.3 u r correct, the pcm does control the cruise- it was awhile ago and i wasn't sure, but i was wrong......oops.
hopefully this helps u figure it out
Old 04-25-2011, 09:15 AM

harness

Thanks, I was able to download the diagrams. The cruise control diagram is a little bit tough to read but i'm getting through it. I went to a yard this AM and got a harness from a manual trans truck that goes from the trans to the left side fender liner connector, not diesel. I plugged it in and now the truck will start when the clutch pedal is depressed. Still no cruise. I just pulled the horn pad and there is 12v to the switch. I checked the on/off switch and it has continuity. I checked the resume switch (ohms all over the place; high @ first then drops to zero) Set (684 Ohms) and coast (120 Ohms) I think the resume resistor may be bad?? but I would think I would be able to set it initially. I think I need to pull the steering wheel and check the brushes or find the wires under the dash to check for continuity. I wonder if all the pcm's come w/cruise in them. I replaced my auto unit w/a manual pcm but have no idea if it came from a truck w/cruise or if it matters. I may swap the auto unit back into it just to see if the cruise works w/it.. Making some headway but still more questions than answers. Thanks for you help guys. Steve
Old 08-09-2012, 07:03 PM

hey im thinking about doing the awap what does it take and how bad was it to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.