1996 Powerstroke trans codes p708, p1748, p1728 help? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1996 Powerstroke trans codes p708, p1748, p1728 help?

Hey guys second powerstroke Ive owned here its a 1996 Ford F350 7.3 turbo diesel and the tranny is experiencing some issues. The issues i am having i had the codes pulled by a local tranny shop and he came up with the following codes, P708 neutral safety switch, P1748 epc fault and lastly P1728 tcc slip.. The trucks over drive light is flashing and when he checked it he earased the codes and when i left the shop the trucks tranny shifted nice and smooth and not hard shifting into second and so on and as soon as i went on the freeway 20 min after he took the codes out the problem came back ovedrive light came back on and the problems came back. The problems i am having is the truck bangs going into second. It does NOT slip at all . The tranny bangs going into second and slight bang into third. If i turn the tuner on to about 75 hp and take off a little agressive the bangs is not noticeable. I have read on here at some other peoples ideas and all but based on what i said what do you guys believe it could be ?
Also jasper located in Massachusetts had put a new tranny in the truck and when the kid i bought it from got the truck the problem begain with him.. he replaced the valve body in the tranny. After he did that the truck still had the problem and so he replaced the tranny with one that had 100k on it odly when all said and done the truck with the other tranny still continued the problem. PLEASE HELP! thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 04:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Does Anyone know or experienced these problems and can tell me what to replace or do ?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:08 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Check the plug... Sometimes the wiring harness to the trans can get corroded, or burnt. Also was the shift solenoid replaced?? Did you say you took it to a trans shop?? They couldn't give you any ideas?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had a p1728 code in my old tranny and it was slamming into gears like yours. I was told that since your tcc is slipping the valve body is trying to make up for it by raising the line pressure that's why it's slamming into gear. So I bought an ATS trans and 5 star tcc and no more tranny problems.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

All I did at the tranny shop was run the codes for me and try to tell me what is best to do and all.. My torque converter doesn't feel like it's slipping at all though.?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Shift soilenond as far as I know was not replaced im going to try and replace the neutral saftey switch the speed sensor on the rear end and on the tranny and clean the plugs have the codes cleared and if that dont work I guess I will have to wait till
My tranny blows
Old 04-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

And can anyone send me a picture of there tranny plug te main one so I can see where the prongs are and all?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

hey guys i noticed today i have a body to frame ground strap broke will this affect anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.