e40d - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
e40d

in my 97 i have a e40d that is built with all kindas of goodies. the guy that built it said it should be good for up to 600 hp no problem. well im starting to get to that mark on the power side and my trans is acting a lil funny. when i get on it and im in 1st it will launch real hard just like it should then it takes about 2 secounds for it to shift into 2nd and when it does it slams into gear so hard it will just smoke the back tires. now that might all sound like fun but its not. but whats werid is when im just driving around town it shifts fine.... now what could this be? if someone already asked about the samething i just did im sorry but i could not find anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 12:46 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Whats the builder say?
How much did you pay for this 600HP trans?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean97 View Post
in my 97 i have a e40d that is built with all kindas of goodies. the guy that built it said it should be good for up to 600 hp no problem. well im starting to get to that mark on the power side and my trans is acting a lil funny. when i get on it and im in 1st it will launch real hard just like it should then it takes about 2 secounds for it to shift into 2nd and when it does it slams into gear so hard it will just smoke the back tires. now that might all sound like fun but its not. but whats werid is when im just driving around town it shifts fine.... now what could this be? if someone already asked about the samething i just did im sorry but i could not find anything
Did you have the tuner before the trans rebuild? If you did and did not have it reburned you could have pressure issues. Unless you have the tune burned for trans upgrades most will include programming that will raise trans pressure, shift points, etc, etc. Assuming the builder installed a shift kit or reprogramming kit of some sort; that is already raising the trans pressure, now you are adding to it with the tuner. Do you have a trans temp gauge, if so what is the temp at? If not, why?

Also, are you sure the trans is good for 600HP? I spent just over $5k rebuilding mine with the best parts available; all steel planets, 4140 input shaft, BW clutches, Sonnax updates, high flow pump, custom valve body, Tugger kit, 5 disc billet TC, etc. and I doubt that is good to 600HP... The TC is, but the trans???
Old 04-24-2011, 06:59 AM

the trans cost me about $5500 and its top doller! and i have a trans gauge and its staying cool. my tuning is for my trans and my mods for the tranny. its only messing up going into 2nd gear
Old 04-24-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
the trans cost me about $5500 and its top doller! and i have a trans gauge and its staying cool. my tuning is for my trans and my mods for the tranny. its only messing up going into 2nd gear
Take it to someone that has a Snap On scanner or AutoE and have them check the pressure and solenoid function. Could be that 2nd gear is drilled to big on your shift kit or an issue with the valve body.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleheny View Post
Take it to someone that has a Snap On scanner or AutoE and have them check the pressure and solenoid function. Could be that 2nd gear is drilled to big on your shift kit or an issue with the valve body.
could it be doing this cuz my trans wireing harness is bad? cuz thats the only code i have on my truck
Old 04-24-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
could it be doing this cuz my trans wireing harness is bad? cuz thats the only code i have on my truck
What code are you getting? It could be the cause or atleast a factor.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

im sorry to tell you this but for that kind of money i would be taking it back to the builder i just had my 4r100 rebuilt witch they are about the same internals and it cost me 3000 and it will hold 600 hp with 40 inch tires and 373 gears its got blue plate clutchs kolen steels billet converter and a bunch of valve work so i just thought i would let you know what i would do
Old 10-04-2011, 05:50 AM

i took it to the builder and he looked at it and changed the atf he said everything was fine. i was right there and there was no shavings or clutch dust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.