Hard to get in reverse - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 04:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard to get in reverse

I have a 95 powerstroke with a manual 5 speed.It is getting hard to get in reverse. Clutch? Linkage? No slip in gear, just hard to get in reverse. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is it easier to shift into reverse with the engine off?

When it does go in, and you keep the clutch floored, and give it some ga.... er, hit the go-pedal, does the truck creep backward at all?

There's no linkage, really. The shifter drops right into the tranny ("top-loader"). Have you checked the tranny fluid level? Any idea how old the fluid is?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:24 AM

mine does the same thing if you slid your arm down the shifter just a little bit and put a small amount of pressure it shifts fine drops right in seems lke it wants to bind when shiftin it normally
Old 04-08-2011, 07:06 AM

It is easier to shift to reverse with the engine not running.Kinda emberassing, but I've never changed the trans oil.It seems to get about half way into gear,release clutch and it grinds.I can smash the stick and it will go in.Sometimes it just slides right into gear.The truck doesn't move with clutch engaged. Thanks
Old 04-08-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8my$ View Post
It is easier to shift to reverse with the engine not running.Kinda emberassing, but I've never changed the trans oil.It seems to get about half way into gear,release clutch and it grinds.I can smash the stick and it will go in.Sometimes it just slides right into gear.The truck doesn't move with clutch engaged. Thanks
I'd start with a fresh change of tranny fluid. Not exactly a "cheap fix", given the price of synthetic ATF these days, but if you bought the truck used, you don't really know what's in it, and the ZF spec calls for synthetic. Over on, er, one of those other sites, I've also read about some fellas overfilling the tranny by a quart or so, by removing the shifter and pouring it in from there, and that supposedly smoothes out the shifting. But if that doesn't resolve it, IIRC, the reverse gear IS synchronized on our trannies, and if it's only reluctant in reverse, it might be the reverse synchro.

Have you tried "double-clutching" it, that is, let go the clutch while it's in neutral, then push it in agan before trying to slip it into reverse?
Old 04-08-2011, 04:49 PM

I have tried double clutching,no help. I<m looking at changing the fluid, but haven't had a chance to see how it's done? Not sure on what oil to use? You stated a ATF in a manual trans.Are you sure? I've used a 90W gear oil in the older cars? Thanks
Old 04-08-2011, 05:13 PM

Owner's manual and the tag on the tranny call for synthetic ATF. All the manual vehicles I've owned, since my '89 Colt, have taken ATF in the manual tranny. Something to do with the material the synchros are made of, according to a source I trust on the Saturn site I frequent.

The fact that double-clutching doesn't help may be good news; suggests that it's not your reverse synchro.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:00 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Might want to check that clutch linkage where the top of the pedal assembly mates to the master cylinder pushrod. That bushing goes bad and the clutch never really releases completely, hence the grind into reverse.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:03 PM

I would think just the opposite. I thought if you had to double clutch it meant the clutch was going out. If it didn't help it could be the transmisson. Do you think it may be the clutch? It did help to grab the stick lower. Could the top loader be wearing? Don't now much about the truck as I have mostly wrenched on older cars.Thanks
Old 04-08-2011, 06:08 PM

I type so slow I missed that last reply. I have had problems with that clutch linkage before. It didn't have the same syptoms that time,but I'll check it again.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.