Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1996 Ambulance Transmission Advice Please

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  SparkyF250 
#1 ·
My 1996 F350 7.3L Powerstroke Ambulance (box truck) conversion is having some transmission issues. The Ford dealership is recommending that I get a new transmission or rebuild (the OD light has been flashing for a month now after going over the Grapevine pass in CA, and the dealership didn't reset it after doing the scans). Trans fluid is burnt and dirty but I don't know if it's worth changing/replacing the filter if the transmission is going out anyway?? This is my first diesel truck. Big learning curve. She weighs over 6tons, so it's as if she's always towing, right? 2x4 Duelly, automatic. She's still driving OK, but rough shift from first to second, and there are definitely some odd glitches in her driving; hard to detect a pattern. I have a couple of skilled friends willing to help me put in a new transmission; any recommended pathways to getting one at a good price with a warranty? I'm broke; this truck is my tiny home. I got one quote at $5000 not including shipping. Ouch. Reasonable?
I want to take care of her but don't want to waste any money, of course. Would you drive it 'til it gives up, or pro-actively put in a fresh transmission? I believe my truck has a E40D transmission but am not sure how to verify this. I'm a little embarrassed to be on this forum since I'm just beginning to learn in this mechanical realm, but feel it's worth a shot in case any of you Powerstroke fans have some advice or friendly coaching for me! Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Depending on who you got the quote from, that is not a crazy price depending on what is done to it. I would not do a flush at all, you will certainly need a new trans not long after that. Side note, yes you have an E40D. Maybe just drain the pan, swap filters and refill the pan and see if it helps.

Our STG1 trans is $3100 and i would highly advise installing a larger trans cooler too.

Shipping to Cali is around $325ish each way. 3yr unlimited warranty.

CNC Fabrication LLC, Diesel Performance, SAM WYSE AUTOMOTIVE STAGE 1 4R100/E4OD TRANSMISSION

#3 ·
Welcome to the ORG :welcome1:
No need to be embarrassed about asking/learning something new. Everyone on here was new to diesels at some point in their lives. Corey has already replied to your thread, he's one of the best vendors on here for 7.3 parts and answers to your questions. Here's a good place to do some reading, 94-98 7.3L General Powerstroke Discussion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

#4 ·
Thanks Corey! FYI the quote I got is from Brian's Truck Shop: "The E40D Transmission is $5000.00 plus shipping. We do require your core.
That is a complete unit with Brian’s 13’’ Multi Disc torque converter. He puts all his upgraded internals in every transmission and custom tunes each one to fit the specific truck and drivers’ needs / wants."

I don't know what the "require your core" and the upgrades mentioned will do do the price.

I appreciate your reply and expertise! ~Lara

#5 ·
If he's doing the work, that simply means he's keeping your old trans for the "core" if you order one from Corey or elsewhere they usually charge a "core" deposit that is fully refunded when the core (old trans) is sent in. In the automotive world most rebuildable parts like transmissions, engines, heads, turbos, waterpumps, etc. will have a core charge, that's how the company doing the rebuild gets the parts they need to rebuild.
If you have someone to help you swap your transmission, you can save some money getting a trans from Corey even with the shipping charges. $5k is a little high for a rebuilt trans IMHO

#6 ·
We've torn down quite a few BTS transmissions, and there's not all that much great stuff in them that's super special. Not knocking them at all as Brian is a really nice guy and I've known him for a long time. I have one of his transmissions. But at the end of the day, you don't need something like that for what you are doing. Hence the reason why we don't charge a lot of money for a heavily built trans that you'll never use to its full potential.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.