Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Symptoms of a failing Torque converter????

40K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  DeadnBuried 
#1 ·
I've had a couple problems with my truck, i bought it used about 3 months ago, and i've been tracking down gremlins ever since...

I've had trouble with towing power, at first, the truck was kinda sluggish and i discovered the EBVP was closed and causing problems, after fixing this, the truck ran much better unloaded and i thought i had fixed the problems...

After i thought i had it all straightened up, i hooked to a mini excavator and the truck was a dog...(1.5 mile level straight strech to reach 50mph)

i had a chip on order and installed it, and again unloaded the truck hauls???

i have no codes, no flashing OD OFF light, i had a mechanic ride with me with a code scanner and no abnormal sensor readings

only problems i am experiencing is a shudder. Mostly happens when trying to accelerate up a steep hill when already in OD, stops if truck kicks down.

the mechanic suggested the torque converter might be bad, but said he had no evidence to support it with the scanner...

Anyone else had a torque converter cause a problem like this?

See less See more
#2 ·
Same exact issue here! Just had my transmission re-worked (haven't picked the truck up yet) and they tell me it's still doing it and tried telling me it was missing. Doesn't seem right to me as it would miss in all gears all the time or at least at certain rpms in all gears.

Someone else here posted they had a similar issue and replaced the lever used to put the truck into gears and it solved there issue. I'll see if I can find it and post a link.

#3 ·
#4 ·
had the fluid changed in the tranny and torque converter, and it seems to have fixed it...pulled the bobcat like a champ today

doesn't many any sence, but it is working, so i'll take what i can get

#5 ·
02 F350 Shudder and surge

Stalking a vibration that now i have discovered is called shudder, below is a list of what I have done, heading to shop this am to explore gear change and torque converter. I changed to an AFE trans pan last year and had perfect clean ATF with NO sparkles. Other than this mystery vibration It has made weekly 8hr highway trips including Toronto to Calgary and back last year. I never tow anything significant (couple quads or jet ski's or sleds) until now.

What RPM should I target for 70mph and gear to support 41.6 (I think) tires?
What other signs of imminent trans failure are there? I have no noise anywhere, pretty firm 2-3 shift, slushy 3-4?

Picked up a service body and now have a consistent weight in the bed. I thought I was done (Always pretty good but rides like a Thunderbird now except for the whole truck has a shake between 45-55 and seems to come and go after that. Now I noticed a bit of a slow pulse in D when off brake before accelerating and that shudder increases under mild acceleration at highway speeds. At 65mph I'm around 1650 rpm. I know GEARS - dealing with that today.

I hope I am closing in on root cause but here is my truck: Mostly Stock 2002 F350 Cab Chassis NOT lifted (installed 8ft box) with Super single rear (XDn2 445/50) Steer Tire on front (both 41.x diameter) Bully Dog GT Tuner (usually in Performance Mode, never Extreme), Upgraded Turbo wheel and waste-gate actuator, NOT lifted, Stock Gears with Detroit Locker, removed 3 leafs, added airbags (Psi-60 front, 40 Rear) Dynatrack ball joints, Single 4.75 inch driveshaft, Spyntec front hub conversion, all linkage or bushings replaced. All Fluids Royal Purple synthetic since bought truck in 2012. Mileage at 173,000 Miles 80% Highway. Centramatics front and back. All spicer u-joints. New set of Bilstein HD shocks all around. HPOP reseal and HPOP hoses 2 years ago, IPR, ICP, waterpump etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.