Slave cylinder maybe? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Slave cylinder maybe?

would a bad slave cylinder keep my truck from starting? I'm thinking that if the clutch isn't fully engaged because of a bad slave cylinder then that may be keeping my truck from starting occasionally. The wait to start light works like normal but when i turn the key, i get nothing. Just like when the clutch petal isn't applied. I am also having problems getting into gear without some frustration. Reverse grinds the odd time and i have to match revs to get it into 1st and 2nd. Almost like the clutch isn't there at all. yet other times, it starts fine and shifts fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
does your clutch pedal squeek when you push it in?
Old 11-13-2009, 06:06 AM

no squeek

no it doesn't make any noise. someone told me there is a botton near the clutch petal that allows the engine to start but i think its a sensor on the clutch or tranny itself.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:31 AM

The switch is on the peddle way up high with 2 wires going to it. I bypass them by tying the 2 wires together with a jumper. The slave is less likely to go bad than the master is but it could be either. Check the firewall for cracks around the master cylinder mount, they can break out and not allow the peddle to fully depress the master cylinder piston.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:34 AM

clutch

well, it turned out to be a bad clutch and flywheel. $1800 later and i still have the starting issue but now i know it's all in the pedal and that stupid switch. i may just use a jumper and eliminate the switch all together.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:33 PM

""i may just use a jumper and eliminate the switch all together. ""
And how much do think it 's going to cost you for that wall the truck runs thru when someone (maybe a kid) turns the key on with the truck in gear????
Old 12-17-2009, 03:28 PM

This truck is strictly a work vehicle. Little children don't tend to find their way into the truck. If they did it would not have the keys in it. If all of the stars align and an unfortunate child does find the keys, put them in the ignition, turn the key, and start the vehicle it would instantly stall from not having the pedal down. The parking break would also have to be released. So I think i can go ahead and safely eliminate the switch and know that all are safe and my truck will not become a piece of furniture sticking through my wall.

Just poking fun.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipz2222 View Post
""i may just use a jumper and eliminate the switch all together. ""
And how much do think it 's going to cost you for that wall the truck runs thru when someone (maybe a kid) turns the key on with the truck in gear????
You know I been driveling trucks of every size and shape since way before anyone dreamed of a switch on the clutch (over 20 years in wreckers alone) and have never seen one started in gear on accident. I have done it on purpose many times and it isnít at all easy to do even when you want to, it's not like an automatic that will start in gear just like it will in park. I call it an idiot switch and since no idiots are allowed to have my keys I take them out so if I ever do need to start it in gear to get home I can. All my walls been doing just fine all these years without idiot switches.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:51 AM

I was stupid once, started my Jeep while standing next to it... it happened to be in granny gear and started up and started accross the parking lot. scared the hell out of me, won't do that again.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:20 AM

it turns out the bushing in the hydraulic cylinder is shot. the post on the pedal pivot has been worn halfway through resulting in the neutral safety switch not being triggered because the pushrod doesn't fully engage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.