4E0D dying? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4E0D dying?

I bought the truck probably 3 months ago. I now have a few mods done. The transmission seems to take like 4 days(exaggeration) to shift from 1st to 2nd, Now the 2,3 shift is much quicker, and with my 100 or 140 setting it is really slow and slams into 3rd gear purty hard when I'm not on it all the way. If I am floored it will shift fairly quick into 3rd tho it doesn't slam into 3rd. Now when I have it on stock or 50 you dont notice it as much, tho it is still slow shift 1st to 2nd.

Basically is it time for a rebuild or is having intake, turbo back exhaust, and custom tune just to much for stock tranny? Should I get a shift kit? Also I haven't changed the fluid yet which it may very well be due or even over due, I am not sure how well the previous owner took care of it. Think that would help, changing the fluid(besides the obivious).

Thanks for any input

Charles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

the stock tranny really isnt designed to hold anymore power than stock, its probably on the way out if you have all those upgrades, if you do have to replace it, get an upgraded one
Old 11-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hey thanks for the reply, I though this thread was dead by now lol. That is good to know that the stock tranny cant support much more than stock but yet it can pull 10-15k lbs? Mind boggling.

Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Strokeorcroak Send a message via Yahoo to Strokeorcroak
Yeah with my setup my tranny was rebuilt about 40,000 miles ago and it slips quite a bit on the higher settings!
Old 11-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokeorcroak View Post
Yeah with my setup my tranny was rebuilt about 40,000 miles ago and it slips quite a bit on the higher settings!
You put a stock tranny back in it after getting it rebuilt?

Mine slips bad on the 1-2 shift. the 2-3 shift it slams into gear. It doesn't think about slipping. It could hurt you if your not ready for that shift lol.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:41 AM

A slow shift is not in its self indicative of the trans going bad, slipping is. This sounds more like a valve, pressure, or flow problem to me. The way it could be a sign of the trans going south is if it's friction marital obstructing valves of passages. More likely is the valve is all dirty and gummy making the piston not move fully to open the valve all the way thus taking more time to engage the 2nd gear clutches.

The stock trans will take a bunch of weight behind it but when you start putting more power through it has to work much harder to keep up and hold much tighter to not slip from the extra torque.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:20 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Strokeorcroak Send a message via Yahoo to Strokeorcroak
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudZooka View Post
You put a stock tranny back in it after getting it rebuilt?

Mine slips bad on the 1-2 shift. the 2-3 shift it slams into gear. It doesn't think about slipping. It could hurt you if your not ready for that shift lol.
No sir. I upgraded but it was just at the advise of the local tranny shop (the truck was stock at the time).... and they said it would be BULLET proof for as long as i owned the truck. Well now that its a little better than stock the tranny is definitely the weak spot. It plenty good enough to hold together until summer though when i do a BTS..
Old 11-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfields View Post
A slow shift is not in its self indicative of the trans going bad, slipping is. This sounds more like a valve, pressure, or flow problem to me. The way it could be a sign of the trans going south is if it's friction marital obstructing valves of passages. More likely is the valve is all dirty and gummy making the piston not move fully to open the valve all the way thus taking more time to engage the 2nd gear clutches.

The stock trans will take a bunch of weight behind it but when you start putting more power through it has to work much harder to keep up and hold much tighter to not slip from the extra torque.
Ah, well thats good to know. I thought about actually replacing my valve body with a "better one" but then was told that the tranny itself is bad. I am very mechanically inclined but trannys are my weak link. I dont want to take it to a shop due to 90% of people will say I need to replace the transmission. This day in age everyone needs money and they will do what they can to get it from you.

Thanks again, I will def look into that.

Charles
Old 11-22-2009, 06:24 PM

If it was me this is what I would do, Iím no trans expert but have built and fixed my share of them.

Get you a 5 gallon bucket, a light colored bed sheet or pillow case, drain the fluid through the cloth and look for chunks . . . don't forget the T/C, it has a plug. If you donít get big chunks or a bunch of metal shavings (you should see some shavings) go on and pull the valve body, coil pack down (keep track of where the BBs and where they go) and give all a good bath. Pull the valves (don't mix them up) and make sure they move free when you assemble it back. In some of the models you must use white grease to hold the BBs up till you get the valve body in place. I can get you a map for the BBs if you get lost also, I would need the info from the ID tag for that. Now would be a good time to put in a shift kit and a clip on the new filter so it wonít fall off also. Flush the cooler and see what you get from that.

Here is a place for parts and the book, also sell the filter clip but I made my own from their picture on this page.

PATC
Old 11-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfields View Post
If it was me this is what I would do, Iím no trans expert but have built and fixed my share of them.

Get you a 5 gallon bucket, a light colored bed sheet or pillow case, drain the fluid through the cloth and look for chunks . . . don't forget the T/C, it has a plug. If you donít get big chunks or a bunch of metal shavings (you should see some shavings) go on and pull the valve body, coil pack down (keep track of where the BBs and where they go) and give all a good bath. Pull the valves (don't mix them up) and make sure they move free when you assemble it back. In some of the models you must use white grease to hold the BBs up till you get the valve body in place. I can get you a map for the BBs if you get lost also, I would need the info from the ID tag for that. Now would be a good time to put in a shift kit and a clip on the new filter so it wonít fall off also. Flush the cooler and see what you get from that.

Here is a place for parts and the book, also sell the filter clip but I made my own from their picture on this page.

PATC
Thanks for that advice! When I pull it apart I will do that. I never thought of doing that. I simply always did the magnet trick (and that was in engines not trannys). It will be after the holidays before I will get a chance to pull it apart unfortunatly

Thanks again for the info, I will refer back and probaby post something before or while I'm doing the tranny for some suggestions / Idea's.

Thanks

Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.