ZF-5 Speed Grinding and Clutch not Disengaging - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ZF-5 Speed Grinding and Clutch not Disengaging

I just bought a 1997 F250 HD 7.3 2WD with 270K...It runs great, has good power, etc. There are 2 problems that I noticed when driving it home. The clutch was not disengaging completely, I would push it in as far as I possibly could and I could tell that it wasn't fully disengaged. After doing a few searches on here I read about the Clutch rod ends...which could be the problem. There is a lot of play in the clutch pedal before it starts to disengage I would guess half of the movement is play in the pedal, So I'm guessing that both the rod end and the pedal pin are both work causing the play. I'll be checking that out tomorrow in the daylight, where is the rod end located?

My other problem is that it grinds in just about every gear. The clutch only has 35K on it. I think the tranny is original. I'm guessing the synchro's are long gone. But the clutch not fully disengaging could be part of it too. It's not that big of a deal to me driving it with the gears grinding but the clutch pedal thing is bothering me. I've just been shifting it slow and easing it into gear which helps a lot.

(Sorry for the long post just trying to explain everything thoroughly.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check the rod but also check the clutch pedal bushing as they can wear out and become sloppy.

As far as the trans, ya your syncs are probably torn up.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You may have air in the hydrulic line. there Is a little bleeder valve on the slave cylender.... Just bleed it like your bleeding brakes.

Also new synchros is what should fix the problem with the grinding. But as long as you shift it slow, it will last a long long time like that.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:42 PM
shaking things up

first off welcome to the .org second if the bushings and ends are worn enough that could cause it to keep the gears rolling with the clutch "disengauged" just shift with out the clutch pretty much newhere between 2k and 3k mine shifts just fine w/o the cluch
also you are not to far from me i am in wexford so like 25 min or so
Old 10-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did also think about air in the hydraulic line as part of the problem too. I'll check my pedal rod and bushing tomorrow and give you guys an update. Thanks for the help guys!

jethro- I see that you and a couple others are close too. I bought the truck in Irwin, PA today...Paid $2600 for it and I think I did real good. It's a florida truck so the body is great. I'll put up some pics soon. Oh and how do you like that chip?...I have the same one.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:10 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I forgot to Welcome you to the ORG!
Old 10-24-2009, 09:43 AM
shaking things up

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdracer View Post
I did also think about air in the hydraulic line as part of the problem too. I'll check my pedal rod and bushing tomorrow and give you guys an update. Thanks for the help guys!

jethro- I see that you and a couple others are close too. I bought the truck in Irwin, PA today...Paid $2600 for it and I think I did real good. It's a florida truck so the body is great. I'll put up some pics soon. Oh and how do you like that chip?...I have the same one.
lol i bought my truck in irwin also lol i love the chip i have it seems to move pretty well with it in you got a good price on the truck is it 4wd
Old 10-24-2009, 09:44 AM
shaking things up

lol i am retarted just realized it is 2wd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.