e40d tuning???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 11:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
e40d tuning????

I had to rebuild the trans in my 96 f350 cc lb. I got a converter ( tripple disc billet) from racer x, put a tugger kit in as well as a full reuild. now it shifts odd and not as firm as Id like. is it possible i need computer changes? currently no tuner instaled. any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Suscribed. and a Bump
Old 10-07-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffF150 View Post
I had to rebuild the trans in my 96 f350 cc lb. I got a converter ( tripple disc billet) from racer x, put a tugger kit in as well as a full reuild. now it shifts odd and not as firm as Id like. is it possible i need computer changes? currently no tuner instaled. any ideas?
Can you define "odd" in a little more detail? I've got the predecessor to the tugger kit, the HD-2. I'm not at all familiar with the tugger though I think the upgraded boost valve I put in gives me about the same thing. Mine firmed up quite a bit. Adding the chip firmed it up even more. It will bark the tires unloaded with my foot on the floor on a 1-2 shift. A good tune will probably firm things up but if it's acting strange, it might indicate a problem.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:20 PM

it never shifts the same time or firmness. sometimes nice and crisp others mushy. real mushy at wot barely feel it shift. it was built by a very well known trans guy, built tons of tranys. it seems to be good just driving normal but when you get on it, it goes soft and has wierd delay. thanks for the bump! and the help
Old 10-07-2009, 12:43 PM

I would think the Tugger kit would be at least as good as my HD-2. Although my chip adds a little more line pressure on top of what the kit adds. If it were me I'd get it scanned for trans codes and take it back to the guy and have him put a pressure gauge on it and make sure the pressures are where they're supposed to be. When I made my living as a Ford wrench I put a gauge on every trans I worked on, before AND after a build. You can get a lot of information that way.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:59 PM

got it shiftin better, but now theres fluid comin out of the bellhousing! it feels like a stall converter but only in reverse!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:28 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
call the guy that sold you the parts...
Old 10-09-2009, 05:30 AM

called the place i got the converter from, they said i put it in wrong!!!! we didnt like the way the converter hub looked they said it was fine and to install it
Old 10-09-2009, 05:51 AM

There's really no way anyone can tell you over the phone with any certainty that the TC was installed incorrectly, but you might have to accept the fact that it's a possibility. Either way you're going to have to pull the trans again if it is pi**ing fluid. I personally have never done business with Racer X, but I know PPL who have and they've all been quite pleased with the quality of parts and service. Some ecstatically so.

Best of luck!
Old 10-09-2009, 08:04 AM

my other problem concerns me more than the leak, it seems to slip a bit in reverse. kinda like a stall converter. its fine foward, but in reverse it takes about 1200 rpms to get it "locked" in. hope a pressure test tells me more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.