'96 e40d problems??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 07:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'96 e40d problems???

'96 ps e40d 4x4 About 6 months ago, I had tranny issues....truck didn't want to shift from 1-2. Someone suggest changing speed sensor...sure enough, the sheath had come off and was mushroomed. Pulled rear diff. cover and replaced...worked good for a while. Now, doing something very similar, when tranny warms up, doesn't want to shift 1-2. Doesn't do it when cold. When it acts up, if you stand in the gas, it doesn't want to shift (not slipping), but if you baby the gas pedal, it shifts smoothly. Could this be solenoid or valve body? Is there a good, over the counter, scanner i can buy instead of trailering it back to town?

*This is my ranch truck, not driven on highway anymore. Also, my OD light broke off long time ago, so don't know if it is blinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009, 03:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Give you a here. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. I can work my way around a motor, but automatic tranny's are a whole different beast altogether.

OBD II scanners are available at Auto Zone. IIRC, they're around $200. You can either buy and keep the scanner, or buy/ use/ then return the scanner. Personally, I'd just buy it.

mike
Old 10-06-2009, 03:55 PM

Do a search on here for eratic efod shifts. I read something about the trans fluid temp sensor not reading right and causing similar problems. I think you will need more than a 200.00 scan tool though. I dont think those cheap ones can pull a data stream so that you can see for sure.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:29 PM

It's going to be hard to guess without the ability to see enhanced data and trans codes, but check fliud level, could be low internal pressure-low to intermediate clutch, could be an issue with S2 solenoid, valvebody could be loose, 1-2 shift valve could be sticking,D2 valve could be sticking or have a broken or damaged spring, interermediate clutch accumulator reg. valve sticking, intermed. clutch accumulator sticking/damaged springs,intermediate clutch assy. piston seal could be leaking, check baal in intermed. piston could be sticking, feed bolt loose,clutch hub damaged,intermediate one way clutch could be going south, Whew!
Old 10-06-2009, 04:39 PM

i have a 4x4 96er myself with an auto. i had sort of the same problem years ago, when my fuel pump died and i replaced it, the shifting got a lot better. suggest looking at your fuel system. specificly, fuel pressure.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

how does fuel pressure affect trannie shifting?

this is weird....I recently started having fuel issues. Truck would shut off while driving. I would stop it, put in park and it would start right up. Then it acted like it was out of fuel with a quarter tank in it.

How does one have an affect on the other? Not doubting you sldghamr, but I can wrap my mind about that one.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincolomas View Post
this is weird....I recently started having fuel issues. Truck would shut off while driving. I would stop it, put in park and it would start right up. Then it acted like it was out of fuel with a quarter tank in it.

How does one have an affect on the other? Not doubting you sldghamr, but I can wrap my mind about that one.
short answer: fuel pressure affects shifting on a vehicle with an auto.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

fuel pump

OK

You do mean the external fuel pump on top of the motor?

Should and what is the best way to check fuel pressure?
Old 10-06-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincolomas View Post
OK

You do mean the external fuel pump on top of the motor?

Should and what is the best way to check fuel pressure?
there is only on fuel pump on the 7.3L PSD, the OBS pump is on top of the engine between the fuel filter and turbo. i would suggest having it checked to just to rule that out, as to how to check, i don't know.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:59 PM

[QUOTE=cincolomas;1448499]this is weird....I recently started having fuel issues. Truck would shut off while driving. I would stop it, put in park and it would start right up. Then it acted like it was out of fuel with a quarter tank in it.

How does one have an affect on the other? Not doubting you sldghamr, but I can wrap my mind about that one.[/QUOTE

That problem sounds like a CPS-cam pos. sensor, fuel pressure is checked on the drivers side of the fule filter housing, there is a shcrader valve on the pressure regulator, install pressure gage, like to see 50 to 80 lbs at full throttle/load
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.