5sp manual tranny ' dust cover ' leaking ? water? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5sp manual tranny ' dust cover ' leaking ? water?

Not sure if 'dust cover' is right term (heard someone call it that), but i'm talking about the little cover that is on bottom of tranny, towards the front of truck, that you can see the flywheel when you take it off.

Anyway, I'm getting a fair amount of dripping / leaking from there. What I can't really figure out is WHAT IS LEAKING ?? Its been going on long enough (and I've been watching dipstick) that I would know if it was oil. It is not reddish at all, so I doubt it woud be tranny fluid. It is pretty watery, smell a bit like fuel and has some darkish / dirtiesh look to it sometimes.

I do usually park my truck outside at night - wondering if there is any chance that rain water collects in there mixes with any crud that had built up in there and then slowly drips out.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 05:41 PM

Anything that leaks into the engine valley runs out there.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

i got that same problem, it doesnt look like tranny fluid but theres nothing leaking in my eninge valley, and no oil is missing from the dipstick so im not to worried. i think perhaps one of the plugs on the high pressure oil rail might have a slight leak or somthing
Old 09-29-2009, 07:32 PM

check the Sensor on the drivers side of the fuel filter bowl. Mine did that and it was dripping about one drip every 5 secconds. Those sensors are notorius for leaking, and actually quite cheap to replace, but with it idling feel around on that sensor and see if it is damp or dripping.

Last edited by Big Bird; 09-30-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 PM

BB,

thanks for that tip. I'll check on it tomorrow morning.

Can you clarify part of your post for me? 'sensor' vs. 'filter'.

I think you mean that there is a sensor near the fuel filter (on the drivers side) that has a tendency to leak. But was a bit confused when later/next you said "Those filters are notorius for leaking". Perhaps it will be self explanatory when i get in there and look, but did you (in your situation) need to repace a sensor (that was leaking), or is the sensor just so close to the fuel filter that replacing the fuel filter somehow seals the leak that was occuring near the sensor?

thanks for your reply.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:22 AM

fixed, sorry. I ment sensor, dunno how I finger fudged that one but it was a mis type.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:13 PM

BB - I checked it out in truck today, it is definitely leaking in that general area (can see moisture down below that area and some slight 'smoking' from there too when idling). I can't however, see exactly where it is coming from.

I called a Ford dealer (parts dept) and asked whether they carried a sensor part in that general area. Do you happen to recall whether it may have been called something like "water in fuel sensor"?

I know I'll need to find/confirm that exact origin of my own problem, I was just curious if that was the part you had problems with. I think it ran around $40 or so and i think you could buy just the o-ring for around $10.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:05 AM

I don't remember off hand, I think the Water in Fuel sensor is there, along with the Fuel Filter restriction sensor... I have to go look at mine to tell you where exactly the sensor is located. I replaced the sensor because it was leaking through the sensor, it threads in and when you take it out the wrench goes on the outside of the sensor body, there were no o rings to leak if I recall correctly.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm having the same problem with mine (97 psd 5spd, 112kmi) Just the leak at the bottom of the dust cover. The consistancy felt like tranny fluid. So I Changed the fluid yesturday, turns out its fuel im 90% sure.

I The leak seems to only occur when I drive. Not while it is sitting still and off. Which makes me think that its leaking fuel out of somewhere, sensor etc.

Last edited by mitchg1; 10-26-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:18 PM

Sorry it has nothing to do with the problem but does anybody know where I can find one of these "dust covers"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.