Speed Sensor? Electronics? Transmission shifts hard - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Speed Sensor? Electronics? Transmission shifts hard

I have a 1995 7.3L Pukin Smoker
After going up in the hills the other day and muddying things up i drove into town to give it a bath
I washed everything and immediately after i started having problems

Speedometer does not work nor does the tripometer, dome lights do not come on power mirrors don't work and i cannot unlock the doors with keyless entry but i can lock them the transmission shifts Extremely hard now and the overdrive light flashes on and off it shifts way late at 2800 rpm it will slam it into all gears it will shift from first into second and slip the clutch back into first real quick then slam into second. The rest of the gears slam hard but do not slip. Was wondering if the speed sensor is fouled up and if so what relation does this have to the lights and other electronics Is there a common wire between all of it?
I have checked all fuses and briefly looked over it. Wondering if anybody has had this happen before or know anything about possible causes.
All problems occured immediately after wash was complete.
The last time I washed it good the cps got messed starting to think that washing pickups is the wrong course of action.
Thanks much
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Power Strokeaholic

GEM maybe. dont know if they had them on those units though. marc, your thoughts?
Old 02-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris05
I have a 1995 7.3L Pukin Smoker
After going up in the hills the other day and muddying things up i drove into town to give it a bath
I washed everything and immediately after i started having problems

Speedometer does not work nor does the tripometer, dome lights do not come on power mirrors don't work and i cannot unlock the doors with keyless entry but i can lock them the transmission shifts Extremely hard now and the overdrive light flashes on and off it shifts way late at 2800 rpm it will slam it into all gears it will shift from first into second and slip the clutch back into first real quick then slam into second. The rest of the gears slam hard but do not slip. Was wondering if the speed sensor is fouled up and if so what relation does this have to the lights and other electronics Is there a common wire between all of it?
I have checked all fuses and briefly looked over it. Wondering if anybody has had this happen before or know anything about possible causes.
All problems occured immediately after wash was complete.
The last time I washed it good the cps got messed starting to think that washing pickups is the wrong course of action.
Thanks much
Chris
sounds to me like y9u got mud or something in the speed sensor for the speedo and trans problem......the dome light and keyless entry is run through another cuircuit.....so im not sure where that problem lies, but i would disconnect the speed sensor, clean both sides of the connection, and put di-electric grease in it to prevent further problems.........Marc
Old 02-27-2006, 04:18 PM
lukecline

find a code reader and pull your codes, with the problems your having there should be codes set in computer.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey whats a good code reader i am sick of going to the dealer or anybody for 100 bucks a pop every time where is a good place to get one?
Thanks
Chris
Old 02-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecline
find a code reader and pull your codes, with the problems your having there should be codes set in computer.
depending on whats going on....there may or may not be a code for the dome lamp issue....although im sure there is one for the speed sensor....ive done that one myself.......Marc
Old 02-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just went to checker and autozone tried to use there code readers on my truck they wouldnt work i bought a speed sensor 20 bucks i guess i will try that and check some wire connections if not i will try the ford dealer. However the kid working in there said he experienced the same kind of problem (lights mirrors not working tranny messed up) with his diesel pickup and it ended up being some odd fuse located apart from everything else and that remedied it. Dont suppose anyone has ever heard of that?
Chris
Old 02-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
I just went to checker and autozone tried to use there code readers on my truck they wouldnt work i bought a speed sensor 20 bucks i guess i will try that and check some wire connections if not i will try the ford dealer. However the kid working in there said he experienced the same kind of problem (lights mirrors not working tranny messed up) with his diesel pickup and it ended up being some odd fuse located apart from everything else and that remedied it. Dont suppose anyone has ever heard of that?
Chris
there are only two places you have fuses.....one box in the engine compartment, and one behind the panel just in front of your shins in the engine compartment....there are relays other places...but no other fuses........Marc
Old 02-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah thats what I thought as well and i checked all of them.
He might of thought a fuse was a relay being the toothless unshowered redneck he was.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Power Strokeaholic

Quote:
being the toothless unshowered redneck he was.
hey now, thems faughtin words there.

j/k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.