E4OD Trans Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E4OD Trans Issues

I've had a couple strange issues (possibly related) with my trans recently. My trans is a factory rebuilt unit with about 40k miles on it, about 36k of those have been on Schaeffer's sythetic fluid, with a Tru-Cool 4590 trans cooler (in addition to the radiator heat exchanger), and with the Sonnex valve & tricumulator springs. It has also been running an Edge Evolution on "Race" setting for the same time frame.

The truck has spent most of its past 40k miles either towing a race car trailer (4500 lbs), hauling a camper (3000 lbs), or both, and also a fair amount of drag racing (but without boosting on the launch). It just has a Tymar intake and 5" exhaust for mods.

Recently while hauling the camper up a slight grade, I noticed that if I back off the throttle slightly, the converter unlocks. IIRC it used to unlock if I gave it more throttle, so suddenly this seems backwards. About the same time I noticed that if I was hauling both the camper and the race car, at the top of a steep hill I would leak transmission fluid. It was always happening when I got home late at night from the races, so I could not see where it was coming from. I finally saw it close up this time, and it was definitely coming from the converter dust cover, presumably leaking from the pump seal. It was a slow but steady stream. Over the course of 2 mintutes I'd estimate that it lost about 1/4 of a quart (a puddle about 18 inches in diameter on concrete). As soon as I shut it off the leak stopped. After sitting a while I restarted it and it was fine. When it was leaking, the ambient temp was 95F, the trans test port temp was 190F, and the pan temp was 182F. I had just climbed a long steady grade to my house.

Any ideas? I know when the factory trans went out it would sometimes leak from the front pump area after climbing a grade, but it would also slip noticeably and set a code. So far no slippage. If this is a converter problem, am I likely to be able to replace only the converter? Money is really tight right now, so I want to get out as reasonably as possible.

Thanks,
Michael Pliska
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.