Crazy Trans Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 02:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Crazy Trans Problem

So ive searched and found that when the OD light flashes its not good..

So today i took a truck that i just bought two days ago to a local trans shop. After spending a good hour or so with it hooked to the snap on reader and a test drive later... The only code to come up was the cam positioning sensor.. I know about the problems so after the trans shop i took it to the local ford dealer to see if the recall has been takin care yet or not. It wasnt. So they said they would put one in for me, untill they discovered that the sensor is the new updated one.

So since they couldnt do anything about it i just bought one, if its not a bad sensor then at least il have a spare..

Trans shop said that nothing else was wrong with the trans, no slipping or anything. Just hard shifting because its in limp mode..

What do you all think i should do at this point? Put the new sensor in and hope that maby the updated one went bad? Anyone ever have this problem to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've got this problem aswell. If I use a DTC Scanner and clear it or remove the battery cables and reset the computer it shifts great for atleast 15 miles but sometimes as many as 150 then the light comes starts flashing and it starts shifting from 2-3 hard again. When the O/D light flashes and so on, it throughs a generic transmission slip code which the local tranny guy said could possibly be the TC slipping a little, a shift solenoid bad, a clutch pack slipping slightly or maybe somthing else.
Several other people I talked to about it said as long as it shifts hard and not soft, it's not going to be near as bad as if it is shifting soft because if it's soft, the tranny is slipping.
Mine started that a couple months ago and I have just been driving it as usual and it hasn't gotten worse or better.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:05 AM

Yea this sucks big time!

I keep on erasing the code and it shifts alot better. Shifts are not soft and the trans has never slipped..

But anyone know how many RPMS i should be running with 35's and 4.10 gears at 55 MPH?

The previous owner says he installed a new torque converter and a front seal.. Well to me i think that the converter is not locking up. I run around 2000 at 55 mph, and 2300 2500 at 70 mph..
Old 07-09-2009, 07:51 AM

I can't help ya with 4.10's because mine has 3.55's and 35's.
On my truck, runnin 55 is around 1500rpm and 70 is right around 2000.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have this problem. My truck is a 1997 f350 with powerstroke. Tranny shop said cam sensor, replaced that. No change. I can reset the copmuter and it shifts fine, no slipping, shifts fine. I am pulling my hair out. What do you all think I should check next? I don't think the tranny is bad because it doesn't act bad.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob72 View Post
I have this problem. My truck is a 1997 f350 with powerstroke. Tranny shop said cam sensor, replaced that. No change. I can reset the copmuter and it shifts fine, no slipping, shifts fine. I am pulling my hair out. What do you all think I should check next? I don't think the tranny is bad because it doesn't act bad.
I don't understand what you're asking. The CPS code? They come up if the truck is having a bad day. It's dumb.

To the OP, I remember reading a good number have issues with solenoid packs. Specifically the 2-3 shifts.
It could also be an issue with the wires in the column.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My problem is the od light blinking which puts me in "safe" mode real hard shifts and funny od shifts. I reset comp and shift fine. Tranny shop said cam position sensor. Replaced it and no change in od light flashing. Still getting the same code. What else could it be?
Old 01-28-2012, 08:18 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I would suggest pulling the connector on the passenger side of the trans and cleaning the harness and trans connection really well and see if the problem goes away. If any Atf or moisture has gotten into that connection it will cause the problems you are talking about.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:56 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

I would think it could be the shift solenoid pack acting up. O/D light blinks if theres something wrong with the trans and thats it. seems like your trans shop and dealer are dumb. LOL
Old 02-01-2012, 06:15 PM

I had this same thing. Drove me nuts. I cleaned all the electric connections and greased them, replaced the speed sensor on the rear diff., etc, etc. I hate to say it but i just got my truck back from having the trans rebuilt. it had a little of everything wrong. Solenoids were bad TC was bad and ne of the clutch packs was slipping. It was spendy but well worth it. Hated that damn little blinking light. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.