1997 7.3 diesel quit no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1997 7.3 diesel quit no start

OK, I have a 1997 7.3 diesel powerstroke that spit twice then quit. The fuel pump was recently replaced and there is fuel in the filter. It will turn over fine but not hit at all.

I connected my cheap reader to the ODBII port and all I get is "FAIL". I read somewhere this 1997 is not compatible with these readers, is this true? Also, I noticed mt "Wait to Start" light does not come on when I turn on the switch. It was warm when it cut off.

Is there a special reader that must be used on this unit?

Last edited by Richardcrowe; 01-10-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardcrowe View Post
OK, I have a 1997 7.3 diesel powerstroke that spit twice then quit. The fuel pump was recently replaced and there is fuel in the filter. It will turn over fine but not hit at all.

I connected my cheap reader to the ODBII port and all I get is "FAIL". I read somewhere this 1997 is not compatible with these readers, is this true? Also, I noticed mt "Wait to Start" light does not come on when I turn on the switch but does when I try to start so the bulb is good. It was warm when it cut off.

Is there a special reader that must be used on this unit?
Check and see if fuse #22 is blown. Should be a 30amp maxi fuse.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

#22 was indeed bad. I changed it and turned my key on. The Wait to start light and others were flickering and then went out. I tried to start and it still would not. I rechecked #22 and it was blown again.

OK dude, where do I start looking for my short?
Old 01-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

fuse 22 might be the bowl heater or the pcm try dicconectine the bowl heater or pull your filter out and check the heater in the bowl if wire is broken it short against the bowl
Old 01-10-2009, 11:10 AM

The fuel bowl heater in the wire on the right side of the fule bowl about 2/3's the way down.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any idea what else this #22 fuse controls? I will check all this out tomorrow, raining right now.

How about the glow plugs?
Old 01-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudDog View Post
The fuel bowl heater in the wire on the right side of the fule bowl about 2/3's the way down.
It's on the right side as you are facing the truck. It is on the drivers side of the fuel bowl. There should be 2 wires. One controls the fuel heater and the other is the air intake heater. Unplug the fuel bowl heater, replace the fuse and start the truck.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
It's on the right side as you are facing the truck. It is on the drivers side of the fuel bowl. There should be 2 wires. One controls the fuel heater and the other is the air intake heater. Unplug the fuel bowl heater, replace the fuse and start the truck.

I'll tell you exactally what I did. I unplugged the heater (top wire), replaced the fuse and started my truck!

You guys are the greatest! This forum has literaly saved me thousands of dollars on repairs. I'm nobody's mechanic but I can follow instructions.

I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I would not have went to a fuel heater in a million years. I mean, who would have thought a fuel heater would shut my truck down completely.

One more question: I live in upstate South Carolina and the low temps are 25 or so. How cold can I run my truck until I replace the heater?

Last edited by Richardcrowe; 01-11-2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Added quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardcrowe View Post
I'll tell you exactally what I did. I unplugged the heater (top wire), replaced the fuse and started my truck!

You guys are the greatest! This forum has literaly saved me thousands of dollars on repairs. I'm nobody's mechanic but I can follow instructions.

I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I would not have went to a fuel heater in a million years. I mean, who would have thought a fuel heater would shut my truck down completely.

One more question: I live in upstate South Carolina and the low temps are 25 or so. How cold can I run my truck until I replace the heater?
For the most part, nobody replaces them. Just leave it unplugged and maybe add some Powerservice to the fuel When you fill up. That heater doesn't help much.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:34 AM

the heated is a piece of cake to replace. And cheep. Remove the fuel bowl cap and fuel filter. unplug the heater on the inside. I think its a17 or a 19 crows foot wrench to remove the post in the fuel bowl. remover and replace the heater. Tighten the post but be carful the bowl is alum. Plug the heater up inside and out. Then ( I would install a new fuel filter. ) and tighten the fuel bowl cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.