Hard Start but runs beautifully when warm. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 11:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard Start but runs beautifully when warm.

Okay Plug it in and it starts right up. Leave it unplugged and it will crank for about 6 seconds before it fires up. It stutters and then straightens out. Sound like gpr/gp's right? Its not. I replaced the gpr, and i put new diesel rx glowplugs in it, checked the resistance in the valve gasket and made sure everything works. And it does. Its 70 degrees today in michigan. So this leads me to think fuel pressure or hpop. Well i have replaced the EOT sensor, and the ICP sensor, and i cleaned out the IPR. What do you all think it is? Also when i punch it (after its warmed up of course) it will stutter just a little. Any help is apreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2014, 12:21 PM

alllrighty. Just got a new discovery. Father had a fuel injection pressure gauge layin around and i tested my fuel pressure. Im getting 10 and idle. And getting 15 when rpms are up. What are they supposed to be at? Thats seems kinda low to me.....
Old 04-12-2014, 12:25 PM

Oh yeah another thing. I had swaped injectors to swamps 150/146. they said my cores were damaged do to low fuel pressure or fuel contamination. What do i do for low fuel pressure check the pumps?
Old 04-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Don't remember the exact number, but yeah, that's low. You measured at the schrader valve on the FPR? If filter is good, I'd say replace the pump (there's only one, but it's two-stage).
Old 04-12-2014, 09:09 PM

I sure did. And yeah i replaced fuel filter maybe 200 miles ago. I pulled it out and it was super clean just like the way i put it in! Do you think the low fuel pressure would cause it to take forever to start but then run fine when its warm/plugged in?
Old 04-13-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Don't remember the exact number, but yeah, that's low. You measured at the schrader valve on the FPR? If filter is good, I'd say replace the pump (there's only one, but it's two-stage).
So the pump you think i should replace is the one in the valley right? Is there a pump in the frame rail or anything?

Last edited by Axlesteel; 04-13-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The pump in the valley is the only fuel pump.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:43 AM

okay good. I have one coming in the mail. Hopefully this will fix my problem! Do you think the low fuel pressure will make it hard to start but run fine after it has started? Im sure it isnt good for the injectors running on low pressure.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Replaced the pump started it up and i had 50 lbs of pressure! So now i just have to wait and see if this fixed my hard start proplem!
Old 04-18-2014, 05:31 AM

got out this morning (8:20) in michigan at 45 degrees. She fired right up. After chasing this mystery of why its running like crap I have finally fixed it!

New glow plugs
New gpr
New ICP
New EOT
Cleaned out IPR
New Swamps 150/146 Injectors
Im sure ive done more but to top it off I replaced the fuel pump.

It could have been a combination of all of them but im glad its fixed and running good. Thanks everyone on this website that could give some advise! Wouldnt of been able to do it without ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.