U0106 fault! someone help me? what is wrong? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
U0106 fault! someone help me? what is wrong?

I got a 1996 Ford econoline e-350 7,3td powerstroke and i have startings problems when its cold.. i dont get any voltage to the glow plugs..

These are some of the fault codes i get:

U0106 Lost communication with glow plug control module
U0101 Lost communucation with TCM
P1143 Air assisted injector contol valve range/Performance
P0196 Engine oil temperature sensor range/performance
P0443 Evaporative emission system purge control
P0445 Evaporative system leak Detected (large leak)

What can be wrong and wich part do i need to change? What is the the TCM?

The most important is to get the glow plugs to work again.. would it be enough to change the relé maybe? or is there annother control module?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Emergency Services

TCM = Transmission control module .. I think
I would run a hot jumper wire to the relay to check it's function. If it doesn't click when you jump to one of the little terminals on there (I forget which one), then it's bad.

The P0443 and P0445 should not be errors that a diesel has. There is no evap system on a diesel (I think). I don't know what to think about those codes.

EOT (engine oil temp) is on top of the high pressure oil pump reservoir (above the water pump). Check it's plug, or better yet check it's resistance (sombody on here could probably tell you what's normal, I don't have my SM in front of my right now). If the computer *thinks* the oil is hot, then it won't necessarily run the glow plugs. This could be part of the problem.

Now, U0101, I don't know about that either. Are you sure a rat hasn't wreaked havoc on your wiring harness? Some of these errors are just weird. I have never seen some of them before on a diesel.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:05 PM

im haven the same problem with mine but no codes. if i plug it in its fine though
Old 11-23-2008, 06:14 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

none of those codes make any sense for a 1996 7.3 van , it doesnt even have a tcm , glkow plug relay is probably why it doesnt want to start, but the codes dont fit that van
Old 11-24-2008, 12:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've had 125 error codes, so I think there are many wheird codes yes :p

Could someone tell me where the glow plug relay is placed? there is a little box on the left valvecover.. might it be under this?

I'm also thinking that maybe the water temp and oil temp sensor can be bad? if these are controlling the glow plug relay? I had a error code on both..

Last edited by janskii; 11-24-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:38 AM
Emergency Services

The glow plug relay is located on the passenger side valve cover, sort of beside the fuel filter housing. You can most easily reach it from the back side by removing the dog house, and turbo shield. If your truck still has the silly resonator box on the intake system, remove it with a claw hammer (in pieces) and plug that hole with a paint can lid or bearing cap or something. It makes service a heck of a lot easier.
If you don't want to remove the resonator the fun way, then loosen the bolts, and try to wiggle it out of there while grinding your knuckles on every sharp folded edge, screw, turbocharger piping, etc till you get it out. Your choice.

125 codes??? At one time? I think the most I ever had was on an '08 duramax ambulance I had that had a battery cable loose, and the truck had a nervous breakdown. It threw 38 codes simultaneously, and the tranny wouldn't shift out of first gear. All for a battery that wasn't connected.

Anyway, I was wondering if your PCM is faulty. It seems to be throwing codes for all sorts of things that are unrelated, and even more strange, things you don't even have.

Last edited by elibenson; 11-24-2008 at 04:46 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 11-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i have a feeling he isnt using the right scanner and its scanning on a newer model gas engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.