Wheezing sound at cold start 98 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 06:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wheezing sound at cold start 98

I've got a 98 E350 that's started making a wheezing sound, sounds a lot like a Red-Tailed Hawk call, descending in tone, only on first revolution of starting when cold. Sounds to me like a vacuum leak maybe? A buddy said it could be a belt slipping, and I guess it could sound like that too. So I changed the serpentine belt out, and it still makes that sound, so I guess it wasn't the belt (the old belt looked fine and had plenty of tension too).

I don't think it's the exhaust backpressure valve, because I disconnected the solenoid for that years ago. Also, it hasn't been cold enough for it to go on anyway.

Occasionally the sound comes back, but never after the engine is warm, and (so far) never more than like three times at a go.

Anyone else heard a sound like this? What was causing it?

Last edited by muhoo; 06-06-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The OBS have no EGR. And diesels don't have vacuum. If it's a whssshhh sound, accompanied by weak acceleration, goes away with full go-pedal pressure, it's the EBPV - exhaust back pressure valve.

Belt test - run the van BRIEFLY without the belt; see if sound persists.
The Following User Says Thank You to madpogue For This Useful Post:
muhoo (06-23-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 02:18 PM

Sorry, I meant EBP valve, not EGR. I disconnected it years ago, so the wheezing isn't that. Acceleration is fine.

There' s definitely vacuum on this van, there's a vacuum pump which runs a number of systems. The sound reminds me of the sound of air being sucked in or escaping, a whistling sound, which made me think vacuum.

The no-belt idea is great, thanks, will try that the next time I cold-start it. If it still makes the sound, then I'll know for sure it isn't related to anything belt-driven (i.e. I can rule out A/C, alternator, water pump, vacuum pump, and power steering pump).

On a side note, I noticed the other day that the power steering system is leaking fluid, so maybe the noise is from there. I'll see if fixing that leak stops the noise.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The vacuum pump provides boost for the power brakes, and "power" for the HVAC controls. But it's a pump; it's not generated by the engine. But yeah, if a hose is leaking, it would make noise (but you'd also expect a problem with either brake boost or HVAC).

If "red tail hawk" means it's something of a whine/screeching noise, then indeed it could be the power steering; when they get low on fluid, the pump tends to whine. Don't let that go; if the pump runs dry for too long, it'll seize right up, and take the belt with it. If the level in the pump is low, you could try topping it off and see if that quiets it down (for the time being). Is it leaking onto the belt, by any chance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.