Truck idles rough when cold and great when warm - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 11:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck idles rough when cold and great when warm

Ok I have a 97 f250 with a 7.3 powerstroke.
It has a code of P1212. Ihave just replaced the ICP through warranty of an ICP I bought at international.

Whe I star it up in the morning it takes a bit for the truck to fire (15 seconds or so) then it runs like crap on less than 8 cylinders and wont rev until it starts to warm up a bit. if I drive it like this, eventually the truck starts running right (all 8 cylinders). I have gone through the wiring and it is fine.

When the truck is warm and I park it to run into home depot or something, I come back out and it takes a few cranks to run. BUt when I crank it and it doesnt start, it has an eratic firing and no CEL but if the CEL light comes on then the truck fires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Maverick1701
hmmm....
These need to be looked into and can make your truck "run funny" if it's going bad.
P1212 {2}
ICP (Injection Control Pressure) Higher That Expected KOEO

P1212 {1} {3}
ICP Voltage Not At Expected Level

{1}—MIL lit when fault is present.
{2}—1997 models.
{3}—1998–2001 models.

there is also a sensor on the drivers-side head towards the front....I would take a look at it as well
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/at...tid=3076&stc=1

Last edited by Maverick1701; 11-18-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:53 PM

There was a guy on my other forum who had similar problems:
I have a 96 psd and developed a similar problem at about 185k. Turned out to be the injector wiring harnesses. Insulation rubbed off against the engine over time and shorted out one of the injectors. Ran really rough when cold but fine after warmed up. Replaced one side set of harnesses and injector which fixed the problem for about a month. The the same thing happened and I had to replace the other side harness. Haven't had any more trouble with it. There's 285K on it now.

Something else about my last post:
When you check the ICP plug...if there is no change the issue is probably elsewhere.
I hope it helps... let us know how it turns out...
Old 11-19-2008, 06:07 AM

I replaced the ICP sensor as I stated in my first post. Thank you for your respomses I will check those harnesses again. also does anyone know what the Harness that connects to the IPR goes for?
Old 11-19-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Fab View Post
I replaced the ICP sensor as I stated in my first post. Thank you for your respomses I will check those harnesses again. also does anyone know what the Harness that connects to the IPR goes for?
Ya you did say that for some reason I read ICP sensor but was thinking that you replaced IDM

Last edited by Maverick1701; 11-19-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:38 AM

O-rings might be going bad on the IPR.Check and oil level in the HPOP resevor. Plug could be going bad on the IPR. Just a few things to check.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am a newbie here and have a question on this issue.Truck runs great after a couple of minutes but runs real rough at start up. Problem is worse if it sits for a day or two.It is a 03 powerstroke in a F250 crew cab. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:02 AM

I have a 97 7.3 F350 had all the same symptoms. Replaced all the inj orings and helped a little but was very hard or no start in (50deg or colder temps)ran like crap, would not rev up for about 25-30 seconds after start Had to warm up 20 minutes before it was driveable without stalling. End up having bad injectors. Found a guy who tests 7.3s on ebay and had injectors with 50-60hrs on them for $81 each. Replaced all 8 and woohoo she fires up 10z's faster (revs immediately) idles slightly rough for a minute or so but good to go, smoother overall idle and I can drive it almost immediately after starting. The diesel clatter is much faster (you can hear the sound difference) Also found out I had 2 AB injectors in the truck when they should have all been AA's
Old 04-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

what is the difference between AB and AA injectors, my 97 superduty has AB and i bought a used engine as a spare the injectors in it are AA. question is can i put them in my truck???
Old 04-24-2010, 11:19 AM

The difference is the shot! AA injectors are single shot and AB are dual shot! Meaning when the injector cycles it sprays fuel into the cylinder. The AA's spray once during each cycle of the piston and the AB's spray fuel 2 times so the answer is no, I wouldnt recommend it as the single spray is more fuel all at once and the dual spray is roughly 2 smaller sprays. The AA's are more money since they are sought after for aftermarket modification due to their simple design!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.