low on power, missing, and intermitent no throttle response - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 06:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
low on power, missing, and intermitent no throttle response

1997 f250 psd 5spd 232k miles, no chips or anything

Yesterday the truck cranked and cranked then just fired right up like it was fine. It will idle fine, but then when I bring the rpm's up, it will do one or both, start missing, when the rpm's drop back to idle they will drop past idle to 450-500 then come back up in a couple seconds. When driving I either have throttle response and it feels a little low on power or it misses some, or I have no throttle response and I end up costing down to idle. It has died on me 2x a minute or so after start up but started back up after a little cranking, seemed like it didn't have enough fuel.

I have an autel al619 and ran the codes but didn't find any. I have heard that only some scanners will pull codes on these trucks though.

Since buying the truck I have replaced the cps (international replacement part), tps, converted to single mass, fuel filter, and cleaned the ipr and put new o-rings on it. The issue started before I did the tps, fuel filter, and single mass ast week, and was not fixed. All of this has been within 6 months.

Im thinking from everything that I have read that it is my idm. It seems to me that my injectors are firing randomly sometimes and/or at the wrong time in the combustion cycle.

I would greatly appreciate any feed back before I spend money on parts, I can't afford to buy things I don't need at the moment.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Buy something you DO need, which is a device that will communicate with your truck. AE, or a Snap-On MT2500. You would want to start with an injector buzz test and cylinder contribution test.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:11 AM

Check your icp sensor. Pull it and if theres oil saturation on the pigtail connector its going bad. Once it goes completly out it wont start. Its your fuel pressure control. I think it also controls your timing. I think thats what wrong with my truck right now, it had been acting up and finally quit. I checked the sensor and it had oil in it and was cracked. im waiting for it in mail right now actually haha
Old 03-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

madpoque - I would love too and will deffinetely keep that in mind for when I have the money. Unfortunately limping to the ford dealer is much cheaper at the moment, its maybe a mile down back roads away. At the moment i need to make the truck run so I can work to make money to buy that scanner Also, I've had those tests done and they were fine, might not hurt to retest though I guess.

axlesteel - Thanks, had forgotten about that sensor. Does anyone else have input on this? I would like to order parts tomorrow as I can get them Friday and it will actually be warm enough that I might be able to feel my fingers while workng on the truck. Michigans Upper Peninsula, gotta love it.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I checked my icp it had some crud in the connector and was looking pretty rough. So I just replaced it and it didn't help at all. The truck runs so bad now that I cant even limp it to the dealer.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-16-2014, 05:02 PM

haha interesting im over by Ann Arbor MI, and i had just replaced my icp today along with the eot sensor and i had no change im very clueless and dont want to spend huge $$$. If i find any info for you i will definatly come back to help ya.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. I'm loading it on my buddy's trailer tomorrow and taking it to the dealership. Ill post what I find out from them. I have a feeling that im going to be spending some coin on this
Old 03-16-2014, 05:13 PM

Same here. And working in the crappy weather dosent make it any nicer
Old 03-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah no kidding. I have a garage but ran out of propane and cant afford that right now, prices hit 6.17 for propane up here. It's been colder in there than it has out side the last week or so. Have to use the 500w work lights to keep my tools and hands warm.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

So "MTU" == Houghton? Hope you're bringin' the brass monkey in at night!... Get yourself a 10-pack of those Grabber-Mycoal hand warmers. Hint - put 'em in a ziploc bag when they're still warm, they'll cool off and store their energy for a second use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.