What are the common leak points around/from the hpop? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What are the common leak points around/from the hpop?

Hi. Im fairly new here, have been on some other forums for a while but I am liking the org more and more. my truck developed an oil drip, thought it was rear seal as every newbie does, but the front of the valley is full of oil so I started thinking hpop. I ordered the o ring kit today thinking that would likely fix it. As far as I can understand there are three hoses with oil rings to replace. The two on the driver's side look to be dry but down the back of the pump, between it and the fuel bowl there is oil on the pump and thats where the valley is saturated. A few days ago while running errands my truck took longer to crank (after sitting for about an hour). Didn't really think anything of it. Drove to my next destination, shut off for 20 mins and when I went to fire it up it was a no start. Tried again and let it crank a bit longer and it eased into running as opposed to the typical 7.3 "bark" I would normally get. My thinking is that finally the leak has become so bad that the warm/thinner oil is escaping and not building the necessary 350 or whatever psi to fire the truck up. The thing starts fine cold, and runs about as good as it ever has. I have noticed the drip puddle underneath is larger than it used to be.

My real question is if those two drivers side hoses look dry, what/where should I be looking? Like i said there is a good amount of oil in the valley between the fuel bowl and hpop and the back side of the hpop has some oil on it as well. There are a ton of hoses etc in the way and i wasn't able to stick my hand down the back of it to feel around. I will be able to take all the junk off and out of the way tomorrow evening (if that is necessary) but of course I don't want to do much more work than I have to. Any thoughts or suggestions would be mega helpful! Thanks in advance

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 06:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well I guess I should give y'all some info on the truck. Its a 95 ext cab 5 speed. 350k KMS on it. No Limit Tuning ts chip, 3" dp to stock exhaust with a race muffler and hacked off in front of rear axle. D60 kingpin swap, 4.5" PMF rsk with V code springs and bilstien shocks. Apparently there has been some sort of plug jammed in the back pressure valve to keep it open but haven't seen that for myself. The truck runs great and makes goos power. While under the hood yesterday I disconnected on of the fuel lines above the hpop and felt around as best i could down the back of it. I noticed one bolt/plug was daily loose- an 18mm. i tightened it up (about a full turn). Im not sure if this is where the oil is coming from as there was only slight residue on the bolt head after sitting for 24 hours. I will be driving it today with fingers crossed and posting results. If you have any suggestions as to if the leak and the long crank times when warm could or are likely not connected I would like to hear them. I have heard ipr does the same sort of thing but once the truck is running it runs and idles fine. Power seems a bit low but I had been driving on economy mode. as always, thanks in advance.

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.