Random Miss fire/Hesitation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 08:12 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Random Miss fire/Hesitation

I have a 1995 ford F-250 XL 7.3l that's having an issue I'm having trouble tracking down. It's been doing it for the past 2-3 weeks. Whether I'm driving or just sitting, it will feel like a miss of some sort. It has only died once because of it at idle, but it does it at idle, and under load. While at idle it will just drop in RPM's for a split second like it wants to die, then pick right back up. While under load and driving the whole truck will shake, shut off for literally a split second then go back to being fine. Some days it does it more than others, some time it won't do it for a couple of days. It has happened while it's cold out and while it's warm out.

I replaced the CPS, looking at what else I can do to narrow it down. Not sure if the IPR would affect this, or a clogged fuel filter maybe? I'm changing out my filter regardless soon. It doesn't through any codes, and like I said, it does it some days 4-5 times in a 10 minute period and it drives fine sometimes 3-4 days in a row without doing it.

Looking to see what else ya'll can help me trouble shoot to get this resolved. Also played with the wiring on the VC's and that didn't seem to change anything or replicate the problem.

Thank you for those, in advance, who took the time to read this and give me a suggestion.

-Jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Had an issue similar to this but I had an engine code. Check the ICP sensor, if there's oil in it then it needs to be replaced.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

96 ford 7.3 problem

I have a 96 ford 7.3 it had a miss so I took it in pulled codes for kam (keep alive memory) cam (camshaft position sensor) it also said it had 3 injectors out so I replaced all 8 injectors with baby swamps 156/140 injectors also glow plugs valve cover gaskets alternator belt cam sensor had PC reprogramed replaced pcm relay bought new batteries and still it has a miss around 2300rpms. Any ideas???
Old 02-13-2014, 05:55 PM

What does it do above that rpm? What's the condition of the fuel bowl and filter?

What brand CPS did you put in?
Old 02-13-2014, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After that rpm it runs fine until about 3200 then it misses like crazy and brand bwd that goes for the relay and cps same brand
Old 02-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fuel filter was changed about 1000 miles ago I ain't checked the bowl I will tomorrow when I clean the ebps
Old 02-14-2014, 01:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My icp sensor has oil in it when I pulled the plug off I'm replacing the sensor do I need to replace the plug to
Old 02-18-2014, 03:33 PM

Similar issue. Has me stumped and both local diesel shops one that specializes in powerstrokes. My truck makes a knock when it "misses". My hpop res level also seems to be right to the bottom of the plug where you check it? Ive read where it should be like 1/2in below that? I just replaced the cps aswell along with a map sensor and alternator. Also just cleaned the bps and tube. Seems to hesitate more if im not on the stock tune. Unplugged the icp sensor and didmt make a difference. Anybody have a direction to head in?
Old 02-18-2014, 04:06 PM

Possible idm failure ?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhurlsgti View Post
Similar issue. Has me stumped and both local diesel shops one that specializes in powerstrokes. My truck makes a knock when it "misses". My hpop res level also seems to be right to the bottom of the plug where you check it? Ive read where it should be like 1/2in below that? I just replaced the cps aswell along with a map sensor and alternator. Also just cleaned the bps and tube. Seems to hesitate more if im not on the stock tune. Unplugged the icp sensor and didmt make a difference. Anybody have a direction to head in?
What tunes do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.