95 No start issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 04:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 No start issue

Hi all new here and starting off with a problem.

Vehicle is a 95 F350 CC 7.3 AUTO 4x4 with 235,000 miles

I just got the vehicle this past week and it ran great, has lots of power, shifts well, and started normally in about 3 revolutions. That is until yesterday. It has been cold here in Clarksville the past few days, yet the truck hasn't given me any real problems starting in the 20 and below weather. Yesterday as I was driving going up a hill the truck started to just stumble and sputter, maxing out at about 25 mph. The truck was at operating temps when this happened. I pulled over and tried to rev it in neutral to no avail. Turned it off went to restart it and after about 20 minutes of on and off cranking she fired back up and sounded good. Drove another 1/2 mile and it did the same thing. This time I was able to coast into a parking lot.

Long story short I have not been able to get her to restart since that point in time. I got it towed home with my roadside assistance and started looking at trouble shooting it. Looked all over online and saw probable causes being CPS #1 and a lot of mention about the IPR. Since I was planning on replacing the hoses around the fuel bowl this weekend anyway I grabbed an IPR and CPS from Oreilly's (BWD) and swapped them out. I replaced the IPR 1 because it was easier to do with the fuel filter bowl out and the factory one was starting to rust out. I now know the Ford/IH CPS are the ones to get and am going to try to pick one up today and see if that helps. I also found a burnt GPR so replaced that, and changed the oil/filter and fuel filter. While under the hood I checked the wiring connectors going into the valve covers and nothing seemed burnt.

I am still getting the same issues after changing those items. It will crank and crank, sound like it wants to fire, puff out some white fuel smoke each time it tries to fire and that is as far as it gets.

I also tried with the IPC unplugged and no change. Also checked fuse 22 and my WTS light is illuminating as normal.

I'm trying to get this up and running before the next storm hits here next Tuesday. Any ideas as to what else it could be?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by XJ Fanatic; 02-07-2014 at 04:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

can u check fuel pressure, also do u have fuel in valley under turbo. also take plug out on hpop and see if has oil in side, but be careful removing the plug. if it is tight tap allen wrench with a small hammer. if low fill it with oil and see if it starts.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:44 PM

Since it's new to you i'd do/check the following. If you're already doing the fuel bowl then you'll get alot done. But...

Fuel bowl clean out and o-rings
Banjo bolts on pump
EBP tube clean out and sensor
ICP(check)
IPR sensor(check)
Oil change, no additives
Check turbo shaft/fins for play and chips
T-stat, what's your vehicles temp? OR what letter is it on?

and that's what I can think of for now, i'm sure others will chime in and i've forgotten something. Not insulting your intelligence, it's just some things i've done to mine over the years that I should have done right away.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:04 PM

It seems I read somewhere the 95 is prone to have drain back issue in the hpop . You can check the level of the reservoir up top with an allen head I think .
Just a thought .
Old 02-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Little update guys. Got the truck running again. I replaced the IPR as the old one was rusted. Got a new ford CPS and she started right up after it primed the truck. Took it for a drive and it ran great. Much smoother idle, much more responsive.

After this I did noticed that now the truck would only pull fuel from the rear tank, before all this it read and pulled out of both tanks. Now it will only pull/read out of the rear tank. No big deal figured its either the switch or the fuel tank selector valve.

Went to get fuel today and double checked that the front take wasn't taking any more fuel, and topped off the rear tank. Went to restart the truck and get a real rough idle, go to pull out of the station and it loses power and bogs down all over again eventually stalling. I got to the parking lot across the street and got it started again, still ran rough tried to pull forward and had no power. Got out and unplugged the ICP, found oil in the plug need to order a new one. Started it and it ran and seemed to be ok, went to drive and it seemed fine but was shifting really firm, than it did it all over again. Finally said screw it and had it towed home. While waiting on the tow I was able to get it started and idling, It idled fine for an hour until the truck got there. When the truck got there I was able to pull it up on the flat bed just fine, this was with the ICP connected.

Now I'm wondering if the EBVP could be shutting randomly and causing the issue. Also could a bad ICP cause it to loose power and stall out? Any idea if the no longer switching tanks could be a related issue?

Thanks for the help everybody

edit: I also pulled the IDM and checked it for water and had no sloshing noises or anything
Old 02-10-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Fanatic View Post
Now I'm wondering if the EBVP could be shutting randomly and causing the issue. Also could a bad ICP cause it to loose power and stall out? Any idea if the no longer switching tanks could be a related issue?
1st hard shifting is from the pcm putting in a default value for icp (750) so its not doing its thing through the pcm
2nd you kinda answered your own question about the icp its bad
3rd keep a cps and tools to change it in the truck at all times, also driving for a time with icp unpluged aint bad (not good but wont hurt it either).
check fuel pressure while off, pump in the one tank could be bad.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ordered a new IPC Last night. Hopefully that fixes it
Old 02-11-2014, 06:12 AM

ICP WILL cause the hard shifting. Mine would shift hard, bog, erratic idle, and loss of power. Changed ICP and now it's good to go. If you need help let me know, I got mine changed out in 45 minutes.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The question though will an ICP cause the truck to shut off? And with it unplugged it still died after a mile or so. I ordered two more CPS to have on hand this morning as well. I am not sure if yesterday may have been because after realizing the rear tank was the one pulling fuel I switched to the rear tank on the switch. Wonder if it caused the selector valve to move some and cause a partial loss of fuel and starved the fuel bowl, after I got it home I flipped it back to front tank and let it run for almost 2 hours and had no issues.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:30 PM

I had a hard time with it shutting off and losing power and surging and no pedal response. That was the last straw for me and I replaced the ICP and all is good now. I've been keeping an eye on my boost gauge and now I get fuel all through the rpm range and it hits alot sooner than before. My truck is tuned and it has never run this good until the ICP was changed out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.