p1280, p0470 and inconsistent power. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 02:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
p1280, p0470 and inconsistent power.

I have searched and searched and only found threads where there is no follow up with what they did.

1995 F250 2wd auto, Wildman tunes, intake, DP and fpr mod. Fuel bowl cleaned 2 years ago(time for another one).

I've only had to replace the BPS (barometric pressure sensor) on the truck due to hard shifting when I first got it, been fine since then.

1. Now I get a check engine light and the truck will run sluggish and shift hard. I unplug the ICP when this happens and no change. But with the check engine light off i'll pull the plug and it bogs down then idles back up. I cleaned the oil off the plug and it still happens every once in a while. I can usually turn the truck off then right back on and it will go away. I just can't see spending $230 on a sensor at the moment so i'd like to make sure that is it for sure.

2. For the other issue is the EGR tube and sensor which were completely clogged. I got the tube cleaned and put it all back together but i'm sure I need a new sensor, anyone ever notice a difference after cleaning theirs and a new sensor?

3. Also thinking about a TPS sensor change if that will make any difference. Sometimes i'll start the truck and have great throttle response and sometimes it's a little sluggish. I did put a 203 thermostat in and it's made a world of difference but I still got this issue. Any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 09:24 AM

Had major issues last night and couldn't even drive it. Was surging at idle and dying. Got it home ok though.

I'm going to International to get a new ICP, they have it for $204 rather than $230 at the local parts store. Gonna do EGR sensor and cam sensor too.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White95f250 View Post
I cleaned the oil off the plug ...
If there's oil in the electrical connector of the ICP sensor, the sensor is bad. It's leaking oil externally.

There is no EGR valve or tube on these trucks. Maybe you're thinking of the EBP tube and sensor. See what you get for exhaust back pressure with key on, engine off. If it's above atmospheric pressure (aprx. 14.7 psi), and you've cleaned out the tube, then try cleaning out the sensor itself. You might still be able to use it. If that all checks out, and the KOEO reading is back to atmospheric, but you still get an EBP code, check the fitting itself at the manifold. In the case of one of my trucks, anyway, the tube was easy to clear, but the fitting on the manifold was clogged SOLID with soot. Required a lot of solvent and picking with an awl/small screwdriver to punch it through.
The Following User Says Thank You to madpogue For This Useful Post:
White95f250 (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 09:38 AM

Yes when I first cleaned it out there was quite a bit of oil.

You are correct on the terminology but all the parts stores have them listed as the EGR tube even though there is no EGR. My tube was completely gunked up and even the mount for the sensor was clogged. I spent approx 6hrs cleaning it out and i'm sure the sensor is shot, it was pretty rough.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:50 AM

Gotta love parts stores; they call relays "solenoids", EBP parts "EGR", they even call Chevies "trucks"....

Don't forget to check that EG... er... EBP tube fitting on the manifold.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:52 AM

When I cleaned the tube I had to force a coat hanger in the manifold to clean it out.

ICP sensor from International, 1812 818 C93 for anyone looking for the part #.

Appreciate the help, hopefully others can get something out of this. Everytime I fix something I slap myself in the head and think "damnit this made a huge difference, why didn't I do this before?"
Old 02-05-2014, 06:34 PM

Here's the update. I replaced the ICP and EBP sensors and got a spare CPS to toss in the glove box. It took about 45 minutes to actually replace the sensors. EBP sensor was right there but the ICP took a little more work.

I had to set the AC compressor to the side and remove the wiring hold down on the valve cover then I was able to get to it with a wrench. I've had my belt off so many times that I can do it fairly quick which is why it only took 45 minutes for all of this. The new sensor is a different design so I can get it off without removing all that junk again.

I got the ICP for $176 from International, guy hooked me up. The EBP and CPS were from the local parts store.

The truck idles better and it fixed my inconsistent pedal. The turbo is much happier, throttle response is snappier and it pulls much better under boost. ICP was worth it now that I replaced it and can feel the difference.

I hope this helps others with this issue, any questions or whatever just ask. No question is a dumb one or PM me.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:39 AM

Little update, the inconsistent idle and power levels have slowly come back. Truck was pulling hard and running great and now I am going to replace the TPS, EOT and the IPR when the funds allow. I'll eventually do another fuel bowl clean out and check the FPR screen again.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:07 AM

Are you still running the parts store CPS? Get it out of there, get your International "hook you up" guy to hook you up with one of theirs.

Time to get AE (or whatever), and start testing/measuring all those parts rather than (or at least before committing to) replacing them. TPS is an easy one, for example. Turn the key, set up to read TPS percentage, and just slowly squeeze the pedal. Percent value should go up smoothly and consistently. You can even graph it with AE. Those parts you're talking about replacing can get $$$'y; AE, Snap-On MT2500, whatever might pay for itself if it saves you from replacing one or two good parts.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:52 AM

I haven't used the cps yet, just had it as a spare but I might make another run to International to grab a good CPS.

I'll get ahold of a scanner and give everything a once over. The IPR is the next big spender. Do you know about the filtered and non filtered ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.