I'm starting to have a few problems on my 96 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 04:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm starting to have a few problems on my 96

http://http://www.dfuser.com/img/FRS.jpgHey everyone,

I have a 96 F250. I replaced my glow plug relay and CPS about 2 months ago and have been having some issues since, not sure if it was because of putting a functioning one in or not. My truck will randomly lose power (it will drop to an idle, keep running, but not move), the check engine light will come on and I can't move. I will shift into neutral and after about ten seconds the light will go off and everything is ok. Could this be the TPS or a bad CPS?

Also after changing those parts, my truck sometimes will not start on the first turnover, it will crank and crank, I turn the key back and then it fires right up.

My battery gauge also takes a long time to get back to normal as well, it stays low for about a minute. Is this normal?

I also have a fuel leak (see attached picture). What is this and how do I fix it?

Whew, I think that is all my problems for now, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Look up the UVC (Under Valve Cover) Harness Repairs. It sounds like your harnesses may be fried, causing all kinds of sporadic problems with your injectors and glow plugs. If your glow plug solenoid died it's probably because the harness is shot and was drawing too much amperage, overheating the contacts at the solenoid. If your harnesses are grounding out to each other or the heads, that could cause your GP circuit to stay active longer.
When you first crank the truck you'll only show about 8v because the GPs are pulling some MAJOR amps. When it creeps up to 14v is when you know the circuit has disengaged and no longer pulling that power.

Check your injector harnesses (two pigtails on each head, going into the valve cover gaskets on the valley side of the gaskets) and pull your valve cover to do it properly. It's a few minutes more to inspect it thoroughly, but my old pigtails going into the valve covers looked perfectly fine until it was too late. By the time I pulled the passenger cover to inspect, both plug sections had fried completely and one actually looked like it had incinerated.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

how dirty is you pick up underneath you could be having problems with you TCM not reading right. and dose it shake and idle rough when the rpms drop and is you have fuel leaking out you have air leaking in in your fuel system the long cranks my be due to air in the fuel system
Old 02-04-2014, 04:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys

Thank-you for your input guys! My truck is pretty clean underneath, what is the TCM? It doesn't shake or idle rough when the rpm drops, it just goes to idle and stays. I will check out the harnesses this weekend.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

GP timing is set by the PCM; grounding at the valve covers (or anywhere else) will NOT change the run time.

That gauge displays alternator output. It's perfectly normal for it to remain low for one to two minutes on startup. The alternator is working just as hard, but the glow plugs are drawing so much power that they're pulling the voltage down. That's actually an indicator that your glow plugs and relay are doing something at least.

What do you mean by "can't move"? Literally the engine won't propel the truck at all? Are you able to rev up the engine with the go-pedal when this happens? What brand of CPS did you install?

If the CE light came on, there should be a code stored, even if it's turned off again. It would be helpful to know that code (or codes). Your FLAPS will NOT be able to scan your truck; you need to find a shop, or a buddy, with the right kind of scanner or software.

TCM usually refers to transmission control module, which your truck doesn't have. If you have an automatic transmission, it's controlled by the PCM, which also controls the engine. If you have a manual transmission, it's controlled by your right hand and left foot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.