Another HPOP/LPOP question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By madpogue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another HPOP/LPOP question

I have a '96 F-350 with a cold start issue. After cranking, the HPOP reservoir empties. I've been a lurker on here for a while and have found some great info, but I can't quite find another thread with my symptoms. This is my first post, so forgive me for whatever I probably did wrong

First start of the day is almost impossible if the temp is under about 20*, even plugged in. The engine will crank and blow white smoke, RPMs read a couple hundred, but it will not catch. If I refill the HPOP reservoir then it will start and continue to run and the rest of the day. I checked this morning, and the reservoir was full, but after cranking it emptied. This only happens when it's cold, and started in the last couple months.

I have read it could be the LPOP or a bad injector o-ring, is there any way to tell which it might be? BTW it has new batteries, new starter, new GPR and relatively new GPs.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 03:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

During the long crank, does the pseudo-gauge for oil pressure on the dashboard respond?

Last edited by madpogue; 01-06-2014 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
During the long crank, does the pseud-gauge for oil pressure on the dashboard respond?
It does not, unless I fill the reservoir.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hmm, you'd think if it were the lube oil pump (LPOP), it would not keep running. You'd think if it were the check valve that keeps the HPOP reservoir full, it would drain while parked. Bit of a mystery. Why is it not providing oil to the HPOP reservoir while cranking, but it IS providing it, enough to run the truck, once it gets up on its feet?

You could remove the gauge sender and install a mechanical gauge there, and see what that tells you. IIRC you can also connect a mechanical gauge to a fitting on the oil cooler, somewhere near the filter mount.

Be careful, BTW, about repeatedly filling the HPOP res externally, as that's a net increase in the oil level; you do not want an overfull crankcase.
csdwarf11 likes this.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm glad I'm not the only one this has stumped. What it seems like to me is the LPOP isn't pumping enough oil during cranking to refill the HPOP. Is this a symptom of a worn LPOP? Also, if it were a bad injector o-ring it would leak down overnight, right?

This only happens when it's really cold, like less than 15*. Could my oil be too thick at that temp for the LPOP to pump? I run RotellaT 15w-40.

And yes, I've drained some oil out to keep from overfilling it.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So, ended up replacing the glow plugs and relay and she fired right up. I also found my block heater cord was shot, so I had no hope of starting when it was cold. Hopefully that'll fix my issues

Last edited by elicummins; 01-12-2014 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Adding info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.