1996 psd turbo no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 07:18 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1996 psd turbo no start

I bought a farmtruck to pull tractors etc. the truck has a no start condition. I'm ok with small Diesel engines but this is my first diesel vehicle. I understand it is more complicated than my experience allows so I'm asking for help.

Truck has 167k. Original owner had new CPS, TURBO, VACCUM PUMP, FUEL PUMP, second owner had new IPR. After these installed, a conclusion was made that it has a bad hpop. Then I bought it. Second owner says. Fuel filter has good pressure, he checked fuses and relays, filters in tank sending unit are cleaned, and new batteries. He says that the original owner had a new turbo installed, put $40 in fuel in it, when tank was low, it died and hasn't started since. He also says that he pulled oil line from valve cover and put in a coke bottle to find oill "dripped out" instead of building pressure.

When I got it, batteries were dead, terminal connections were poor. I cleaned and charged batteries. I turned over engine, cranks quickly but no start. Very little to no white smoke, tach at 100 rpm, wts light works, no check engine light. I found that an obdii didn't connect and don't know of loaner and truck would be very tough to haul.

When I first cranked, wts light came on, then it did not, #22 fuse was blown. Replaced. Hasn't blown again. I do not disagree that hpop may be failed but it seems like there are a number of other possibilities as well. Was his coke bottle test any indication of hpop performance? It makes sense but I don't know all there is to know.

Yes I know a scan would likely be useful and I'm working on it but it's not an easy find. Also I have thoroughly searched/read forums but felt like I kept chasing rabbit trails without having my own... Thanks in advance for help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 07:23 AM

I'm focusing on idm and PCM possible issues at the moment. I'm not sure how that reconciles with "coke bottle test". Also the icp comes to mind as a possibility but unplugging doesn't change conditions.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The IDM can be exposed to water causing crazy symptoms .Most of these guys pull them and shake it and pull the cover and inspect for damage .
Old 01-04-2014, 01:58 PM

Will do tonite.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:16 PM

Pulled idm off fender. Connections look good and no water inside. Unplugged icp again but nothing.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:20 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So you are getting white smoke?
Old 01-04-2014, 06:49 PM

Not now. Prior owner says his father would see "a little bit" when cranking. I have been looking in mirror and don't see any. I wrote little to none but at this point it's none noticeable from cab.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:04 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Until tonight Ive never heard of the coke bottle thing yet Ive seen it twice tonight.

Check the oil level in your reservoir above the high pressure oil pump. If its low top it off. It should be darn near to the top. Secondly tap the IPR gently with a screwdriver and a hammer while someone is cranking it over.

Lastly any chance you have access to a scanner? not an autozone generic one but a good scanner
Old 01-05-2014, 05:54 AM

Hpop reservoir is full (1/4" from top). Ipr is new. That's funny about the coke bottle trend. I just don't know how well the test works. It makes sense but I've never seen how the oil shooting out should look.

I can try tapping the ipr but since it's brand new, I'm not very hopeful.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Honestly that coke bottle thing is a horrible idea. That line is under anywhere from 500-3000 psi. So imagine that just letting loose. Even into a coke bottle I still dont like the idea of it

Even new stuff can stick sometimes.

Out of curiosity where in the wide world are ya?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.