96 7.3, stinks bad....! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 7.3, stinks bad....!

New here, 2nd post, I have a 96 PS with 198K, I have owned the truck for the last 125K miles. Do what I can, which given enough time is all the service.

We are in the midst of winter and a deep cold spell....(-30 to -50).....Fairbanks can get a bit ridiculous with extremes.

I am getting a very strong fuel smell, mileage has been going down hill and currently less than 10, at these temps bad mileage is expected, I park inside...and the diesel smell......is everywhere all the time.....much worse than in the past..

My clothes stink, my garage stinks, my wifes new Tahoe stinks, my wife is not happy and frankly neither am I.

I use Fords fuel additive and 4 ozs. of 2 stroke oil in each tank at fill up. I have been using additives for quite awhile. I installed these injectors in 2005.

I used some additive (lube) for awhile, then after a few years I quit and started getting a knock when temps were low and I when I first pulled it out of the garage. I put up with this for a while as it would usually quit when it warmed up, when it continued into summer I took some advice to start using some lube in the fuel and the problem went away within 1000 miles.

I have noticed a slight knock and shake so wondering if my injectors are timed out...and need to be replaced.....?

I have repaired the injector wiring several times and will check when I pull a major service this winter......But I dont remember it ever stinking so stinking bad...HELP.......! THANKS.............John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Any fuel in the valley?
Old 01-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
Any fuel in the valley?
YES.....!, finally checked this today, its hard to see and not full/overflowing but definitely some fuel puddling in several low spots....?

What gives?
Old 01-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johne. View Post
YES.....!, finally checked this today, its hard to see and not full/overflowing but definitely some fuel puddling in several low spots....?

What gives?
Fuel bowl, fuel pump, fuel lines, or all of the above. Best thing, clean the valley real good and start her up and look where its coming from and we can give you some insight
Old 02-03-2014, 09:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

leaks and cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
Fuel bowl, fuel pump, fuel lines, or all of the above. Best thing, clean the valley real good and start her up and look where its coming from and we can give you some insight
Ok, finally got around to this, cleaned the valley out.
While running I noticed a oil leak from the aftermarket high pressure hose that connected the left and right oil galley.

I removed hose and capped/plugged the galley ports, I had a new hose made but will wait until all the leaks are resolved.

The next day I looked and can see some fuel on the hose connecting to the lift pump. I looked some with a mirror and it really hard to identify the exact location.

After several hundred miles there is more accumulation in the valley, its still dirty, but believe it is mostly fuel.

I bought a O-ring/gasket kit to reseal the filter housing, and will replace the hose to the pump. Is there anything else I should be looking at while I have the housing out of the way?

On another note, and maybe a separate thread would be in order...but will try here. This truck is a 96 PSD XL, so no cruise control. However I pulled the horn pad out of my 97 1 ton gas rig (shop truck) as it has cruise control, I thought it might plug and play......no luck so far.....what am I missing here?
Old 02-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johne. View Post
Ok, finally got around to this, cleaned the valley out.
While running I noticed a oil leak from the aftermarket high pressure hose that connected the left and right oil galley.

I removed hose and capped/plugged the galley ports, I had a new hose made but will wait until all the leaks are resolved.

The next day I looked and can see some fuel on the hose connecting to the lift pump. I looked some with a mirror and it really hard to identify the exact location.

After several hundred miles there is more accumulation in the valley, its still dirty, but believe it is mostly fuel.

I bought a O-ring/gasket kit to reseal the filter housing, and will replace the hose to the pump. Is there anything else I should be looking at while I have the housing out of the way?

On another note, and maybe a separate thread would be in order...but will try here. This truck is a 96 PSD XL, so no cruise control. However I pulled the horn pad out of my 97 1 ton gas rig (shop truck) as it has cruise control, I thought it might plug and play......no luck so far.....what am I missing here?
Theres 3 small 3/8 hoses that tend to always be cracked on these trucks that you should replace. I just used plain old fuel hose but some guys will swear only to use the ford blue hose but i never got to find out because shortly after i did an e-fuel conversion.

As for cruise you need way more than just the wheel. i believe it has a special master cylinder, and wiring going to the computer and fuse box(s). I tried to do the same to my SL dodge 2500 a while back and it was way more work than it was worth but to each his own.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, filter housing is out, I have taken a pic of what I presume is the backside of the high pressure fuel pump/system. I do see a small amount of fuel in the lower part of that housing............?

Is this serviceable while in the truck?

Old 02-04-2014, 08:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Broken spring

Found the fuel regulator spring broken, Ford does not support the fuel reg kit and the local dealer can order a fuel reg at $300 some bucks.....

I have the part number for the International spring and will see if thats available locally.

I see some springs for sale on the net, one guy sells longer springs that increase the pressure to 80PSI, another guy has a "better" spring that lasts longer and he says the 7.3 actually prefers fuel pressure between 50 and 65 PSI....

What the deal here.........?
Old 02-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Heck, you could buy a used fuel bowl for under a hundred. It's the way I would go. If after you change the spring in the fpr you have under 60psi at the shrader valve you could do the BB mod. There is kit available, I remember Patrick Feeley posting somewhere, PM him for the part number
Old 02-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you can buy a brand new fuel bowl with regulator and harness for that price...
http://www.thedieselstore.com/templa...4#.UvFe_7TIbwk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.