96 7.3, stinks bad....! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-27-2013, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 7.3, stinks bad....!

New here, 2nd post, I have a 96 PS with 198K, I have owned the truck for the last 125K miles. Do what I can, which given enough time is all the service.

We are in the midst of winter and a deep cold spell....(-30 to -50).....Fairbanks can get a bit ridiculous with extremes.

I am getting a very strong fuel smell, mileage has been going down hill and currently less than 10, at these temps bad mileage is expected, I park inside...and the diesel smell......is everywhere all the time.....much worse than in the past..

My clothes stink, my garage stinks, my wifes new Tahoe stinks, my wife is not happy and frankly neither am I.

I use Fords fuel additive and 4 ozs. of 2 stroke oil in each tank at fill up. I have been using additives for quite awhile. I installed these injectors in 2005.

I used some additive (lube) for awhile, then after a few years I quit and started getting a knock when temps were low and I when I first pulled it out of the garage. I put up with this for a while as it would usually quit when it warmed up, when it continued into summer I took some advice to start using some lube in the fuel and the problem went away within 1000 miles.

I have noticed a slight knock and shake so wondering if my injectors are timed out...and need to be replaced.....?

I have repaired the injector wiring several times and will check when I pull a major service this winter......But I dont remember it ever stinking so stinking bad...HELP.......! THANKS.............John
Johne. is offline  
post #2 of 16 Old 12-27-2013, 04:30 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!


 
351fifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canton and kennesaw
Posts: 23,180
Thanks: 34
Thanked 207 Times in 195 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Any fuel in the valley?

-Kris-
2000 excursion V10 2wd 230k
2000 Excursion 7.3 4x4 246k
1995 CCLB DRW 324K
2001 CCLB DRW 319K
Dp tuner infinity, exhaust, intake, chipped, tricked, and wrecked


Quote:
Originally Posted by marine5811
The stock downpipe in an OBS is flat because I'm a ginger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3
Finding a decent woman is like shopping for a used truck. You spend most of your time picking through the money pits, wrecks, and basket cases until you find one that you can tolerate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH
Well at least you caught the loose bolts before they cause any damage. Nothing worse than a sloppy hole
351fifty is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 01-02-2014, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
Any fuel in the valley?
YES.....!, finally checked this today, its hard to see and not full/overflowing but definitely some fuel puddling in several low spots....?

What gives?
Johne. is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 01-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Chapter Director

 
Rammstein1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,963
Thanks: 6
Thanked 48 Times in 40 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johne. View Post
YES.....!, finally checked this today, its hard to see and not full/overflowing but definitely some fuel puddling in several low spots....?

What gives?
Fuel bowl, fuel pump, fuel lines, or all of the above. Best thing, clean the valley real good and start her up and look where its coming from and we can give you some insight

Local Jackass member Pat

Battle cry of every 6.0 owner out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by access_max View Post
With the issues fixed a 6.0 can run circles around a 7.3.
2000 F-350 7.3L ZF6
Standard 7.3 mods
SCT tuned
8" Fabtech lift 13" total
5:13 Gears
46" Goodyear MVTs Military takeoffs
Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares
Ranch Hand front and rear bumper
On-board air W/Semi horns

1995 F-350 7.3L E4OD DRW
Standard 7.3 mods
PHP Hydra W/Tony Wildman tunes
160/0 Injectors
T-500 HPOP
E-fuel Conversion
West Coast mirrors
Rammstein1224 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 02-03-2014, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
leaks and cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
Fuel bowl, fuel pump, fuel lines, or all of the above. Best thing, clean the valley real good and start her up and look where its coming from and we can give you some insight
Ok, finally got around to this, cleaned the valley out.
While running I noticed a oil leak from the aftermarket high pressure hose that connected the left and right oil galley.

I removed hose and capped/plugged the galley ports, I had a new hose made but will wait until all the leaks are resolved.

The next day I looked and can see some fuel on the hose connecting to the lift pump. I looked some with a mirror and it really hard to identify the exact location.

After several hundred miles there is more accumulation in the valley, its still dirty, but believe it is mostly fuel.

I bought a O-ring/gasket kit to reseal the filter housing, and will replace the hose to the pump. Is there anything else I should be looking at while I have the housing out of the way?

On another note, and maybe a separate thread would be in order...but will try here. This truck is a 96 PSD XL, so no cruise control. However I pulled the horn pad out of my 97 1 ton gas rig (shop truck) as it has cruise control, I thought it might plug and play......no luck so far.....what am I missing here?
Johne. is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 02-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Chapter Director

 
Rammstein1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,963
Thanks: 6
Thanked 48 Times in 40 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johne. View Post
Ok, finally got around to this, cleaned the valley out.
While running I noticed a oil leak from the aftermarket high pressure hose that connected the left and right oil galley.

I removed hose and capped/plugged the galley ports, I had a new hose made but will wait until all the leaks are resolved.

The next day I looked and can see some fuel on the hose connecting to the lift pump. I looked some with a mirror and it really hard to identify the exact location.

After several hundred miles there is more accumulation in the valley, its still dirty, but believe it is mostly fuel.

I bought a O-ring/gasket kit to reseal the filter housing, and will replace the hose to the pump. Is there anything else I should be looking at while I have the housing out of the way?

On another note, and maybe a separate thread would be in order...but will try here. This truck is a 96 PSD XL, so no cruise control. However I pulled the horn pad out of my 97 1 ton gas rig (shop truck) as it has cruise control, I thought it might plug and play......no luck so far.....what am I missing here?
Theres 3 small 3/8 hoses that tend to always be cracked on these trucks that you should replace. I just used plain old fuel hose but some guys will swear only to use the ford blue hose but i never got to find out because shortly after i did an e-fuel conversion.

As for cruise you need way more than just the wheel. i believe it has a special master cylinder, and wiring going to the computer and fuse box(s). I tried to do the same to my SL dodge 2500 a while back and it was way more work than it was worth but to each his own.

Local Jackass member Pat

Battle cry of every 6.0 owner out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by access_max View Post
With the issues fixed a 6.0 can run circles around a 7.3.
2000 F-350 7.3L ZF6
Standard 7.3 mods
SCT tuned
8" Fabtech lift 13" total
5:13 Gears
46" Goodyear MVTs Military takeoffs
Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares
Ranch Hand front and rear bumper
On-board air W/Semi horns

1995 F-350 7.3L E4OD DRW
Standard 7.3 mods
PHP Hydra W/Tony Wildman tunes
160/0 Injectors
T-500 HPOP
E-fuel Conversion
West Coast mirrors
Rammstein1224 is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 02-03-2014, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok, filter housing is out, I have taken a pic of what I presume is the backside of the high pressure fuel pump/system. I do see a small amount of fuel in the lower part of that housing............?

Is this serviceable while in the truck?

Johne. is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 02-04-2014, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Broken spring

Found the fuel regulator spring broken, Ford does not support the fuel reg kit and the local dealer can order a fuel reg at $300 some bucks.....

I have the part number for the International spring and will see if thats available locally.

I see some springs for sale on the net, one guy sells longer springs that increase the pressure to 80PSI, another guy has a "better" spring that lasts longer and he says the 7.3 actually prefers fuel pressure between 50 and 65 PSI....

What the deal here.........?
Johne. is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 02-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Arcturus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Woodside, California
Posts: 371
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Heck, you could buy a used fuel bowl for under a hundred. It's the way I would go. If after you change the spring in the fpr you have under 60psi at the shrader valve you could do the BB mod. There is kit available, I remember Patrick Feeley posting somewhere, PM him for the part number

JackT
1996 ECLB 4x4 81k miles
DIY 6637, Hpx, E4OD
First boat Arcturus
2008 Kubota L-39
[IMG][/IMG]
Arcturus is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 02-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Serving Our Country!


 
c69ss396's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Middleburg, Fl
Posts: 1,208
Thanks: 11
Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you can buy a brand new fuel bowl with regulator and harness for that price...
http://www.thedieselstore.com/templa...4#.UvFe_7TIbwk


Dieselsite/Strictlydiesel Efuel, Baby Swamps, Adrenaline HPOP, D66 w/1.0 Housing, ww2, International Uppipes, Swamps tunes, Swamps IDM, Tymar Intake, 5in Exhaust, 203* T-Stat, Aluminum Radiator, 6.0 Fan, Dieselsite Coolant filter, Luk Clutch
c69ss396 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome