Serious issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Serious issues

So my truck has had issues cold starting even after new glow plugs and a new relay so I'm assuming injectors are on they're way out, so I fixed the block heater and use it over nights and a few hours before the end of my work shifts and runs fine.

Yesterday my truck sat for maybe 4-5 hours after a call in for work, as I was leaving the truck started fine, a little hesitation but it was 5 degrees out with a -10 wind chill so it cooled down pretty fast but still started and idled fine. As I was leaving it quickly started losing power, it began getting its loud cold cackle, idled down below 500RPMs and died. I went to start it again and it sputtered into back up but the accelerator was to the floor barley idled then began to build revs, shake and cackle, then became really quiet (still running) then died. It did this 3-4 more times. Then the final time it fired up idled real bad for few second and then it felt like the engine was about to jump out of the Truck, as I watched the tach it would jump up and down from 500 to 1500 about ten times and then died. After that nothing, although I think the battery was drained after all the cranking. The cel came on the last few times but only after the truck died. I'm going to try and find a good code reader, but in the meantime has anyone had an issue like this before? Could it be a sensor, computer, dead injectors, or completely dead engine? I had bad fuel in my one tank a few weeks ago but I have not used it since. Could this have trashed the engine or any other components? I really need help on this one, thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 11:43 AM

Mine did that the first winter I owned it. A guy told me to pull the IPR and check for bad O-rings. Sure enough, they were cracked and the split one was trash. Put new O-rings in from a kit I gout from International and it's been fine ever since.
Worth checking out. Good luck, and let us know the progress.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I'll look into that. That's on the driver side head correct? And I also finally got to look under the hood today (since I've been working since Wednesday till this morning) for a few minutes and found a good bit of fluid, which I believe is diesel, in the engine valley. Could it just be a fuel leak and that's why it would sputter into life, run, then die?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-27-2013, 04:48 PM

The IPR is on the back of the HPOP. Look for the HPOP reservoir on the front of the motor, look behind it and see 2 wires connected to the IPR. On top of the reservoir there's an allen plug. Pull it out and get a turkey baster or something to siphon the oil out so when you unscrew the IPR you don't have a valley full of oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.