glow plug issue. ideas? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 10:18 AM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
glow plug issue. ideas?

well i went to replace the GPs in the 97. got down the the rear most one on the drivers side and had an issue. the GP has come apart (so far 3 pieces) the top came off with the fuel line, i unscrewed the main body, and the inner part seems to be stuck in the head. i can see it and get pliers to it (not vice grips they are too big). the piece i see moves around when you touch it. i tried pulling it out with the pliers no luck, i removed the diode for the IDM and cranked it over seeing if compression would push it out, no luck. I am trying to not remove the head. any ideas?

I think my next option is to try and pull at teh same time someone cranks the motor over, then remove the injector/rockers/pushrods and see if i can get a better grip. then i guess if everything fails see if i can drive the GP into the cylinder and fish it out, then finally option is the pull the head.

i will add pictures when i go back and take the camera
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 10:27 AM
BANNED by Kris

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Nightmare come to life. Good luck bud...
Old 12-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've seen the old boy at the shop deal with that a couple time terry. He strips what he needs to in order to get a set of needle nose vide grips on it then hooks a slide hammer to the vise grips. It's a slowwwwwwwwwwwww process. Couple gentle taps out with the slide hammer, tap it back down. Couple taps out, tap it back down....repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat. He worked on the last one for like three hours working it back and forth till it's almost free the spins the engine over and blasts it and any shrapnel out in one good blast of compression.

The end of the glow plug swells sometimes and they get stuck. It happens to every brand name.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Interior Guru

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What JJ said.

But do not knock it into the cylinder. Because you'll never fish it out.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:37 AM

Oh wow that sucks Terry. I have no idea how to get that out but JJ's plan sounds good to me
Old 12-23-2013, 11:54 AM
the baconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH View Post
I've seen the old boy at the shop deal with that a couple time terry. He strips what he needs to in order to get a set of needle nose vide grips on it then hooks a slide hammer to the vise grips. It's a slowwwwwwwwwwwww process. Couple gentle taps out with the slide hammer, tap it back down. Couple taps out, tap it back down....repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat. He worked on the last one for like three hours working it back and forth till it's almost free the spins the engine over and blasts it and any shrapnel out in one good blast of compression.

The end of the glow plug swells sometimes and they get stuck. It happens to every brand name.
didn't think of the slide hammer. i have pulled the injector forgot to drain the oil/fuel i did manage to bend the top over

and you're right these were motorcraft plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareweird69 View Post
But do not knock it into the cylinder. Because you'll never fish it out.
i was thinking if i raise the piston to TDC, then knock it into the cylinder it can't go far but it will now be "loose"

and if i can't fish it out i am really no further behind than when i started
Old 12-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

Should have installed a fuse......
Old 12-23-2013, 12:09 PM
the baconator

yeah damn.... next time i'll know better
Old 12-23-2013, 12:36 PM

That's why the needle nose vies grips terry. Once you get them clamped on, leave them on. Just tap on the handle of the vies grips with a hammer when tapping it back down. The idea is just keep wiggling it back and forth back and forth. At first the movement will likely be imperceptible.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:47 PM
the baconator

the one problem with that is where the GP is #8 PITA the firewall is in the way however i will get on it probably thurs. borrowed a borescope from a buddy to look at it from inside the cylinder. have thought about welding the two parts together and unscrewing it. think that will work or think it will break the weld? I guess i need to figure out what metals the two parts are. may wind up leaving it for the time being we'll see. will the GPs work if one is unplugged?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.