96 power stroke won't turn over - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 power stroke won't turn over

Soo lately my truck has been acting up. It'll start great for a while and then all off a sudden ill turn the key and the starter won't work. Then randomly a little while later try again and boom it cranks great and fires right up. So I replaced the starter and the starter solenoid in the fender. But it still does the same thing. It's driving me insane. Been trying to figure this out for the past two weeks. When it works it's perfect and then all of a sudden turn the key and nothing. Everything still works like the wait to start and everything starter just won't go. I've cleaned all the battery terminals and all connections to do with the starter.

Need some help here.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
As soon as it doesnt do it leave the key on and go under the hood and try shorting the starter solenoid on the fender. I am suspecting its a connection between the key and the fender mounted solenoid
Old 12-20-2013, 06:51 PM

Automatic or manual transmission?
Old 12-20-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck15 View Post
As soon as it doesnt do it leave the key on and go under the hood and try shorting the starter solenoid on the fender. I am suspecting its a connection between the key and the fender mounted solenoid
Okay that worked. And it's a manual transmission. Is it bad to start it this way ?
Old 12-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sounds like your clutch switch is going out. Its not really bad. Its just not very practical. Odds are you need to jump the wiring harness that plugs into the clutch pedal
Old 12-20-2013, 07:09 PM

Tests:
Rather than jumping the two big terminals on the relay (that's the RELAY on the fender, BTW; the SOLENOID is on the starter), run a jumper wire from the battery + to the SMALL terminal on the relay. If it starts then, then the relay and starter are good, and indeed the problem is upstream - clutch switch as mentioned, ignition switch, wiring. If it still doesn't start, then put a voltmeter on the wire to the small terminal and have someone turn the key to the START position. See if you get voltage. If you do, then the ignition switch, etc. upstream are good, and the relay is the prime suspect.

Do you notice extra free play or slop in the clutch pedal?
Old 12-20-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck15 View Post
Sounds like your clutch switch is going out. Its not really bad. Its just not very practical. Odds are you need to jump the wiring harness that plugs into the clutch pedal
Pretty sure that already is jumped. I've never had to push the clutch in to start It before
Old 12-20-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Tests:
Rather than jumping the two big terminals on the relay (that's the RELAY on the fender, BTW; the SOLENOID is on the starter), run a jumper wire from the battery + to the SMALL terminal on the relay. If it starts then, then the relay and starter are good, and indeed the problem is upstream - clutch switch as mentioned, ignition switch, wiring. If it still doesn't start, then put a voltmeter on the wire to the small terminal and have someone turn the key to the START position. See if you get voltage. If you do, then the ignition switch, etc. upstream are good, and the relay is the prime suspect.

Do you notice extra free play or slop in the clutch pedal?
No don't notice anything different. Okay sorry wrong terms there but yeah it shouldn't be the relay since it's brand new. It must be something. Up stream. I'll do some testing tomorrow
Old 12-20-2013, 07:15 PM

"Brand new" doesn't always mean "working". Seems like cheap FLAPS parts are coming up DOA more and more often.

Maybe your clutch switch jumper is working loose?....
Old 12-20-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
"Brand new" doesn't always mean "working". Seems like cheap FLAPS parts are coming up DOA more and more often.

Maybe your clutch switch jumper is working loose?....
Yeah I know but I'll check the clutch setup and see. Hopefully that's it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.