97 ford f250 died and won't start. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 04:12 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 ford f250 died and won't start.

I was getting ready for a 400 mile trip so I added some engine restore to the oil than I went to go get diesel and about a mile out it died, so I coasted to the side and cranked it back up. I got to the gas station and filled it up and got about another mile and it died (like I turned off the switch, no sputtering) and would not start again. I got a tow home and everything I tried was, replace the cps, disconnect the IPR, check the hpop oil, changed the fuel filter ( the fuel bowl did fill itself back up). I started it with either after disconnecting the glow plugs, it ran a sec and died. Can it be the hpop? The truck was running perfect until it just shut off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 05:27 AM

Bump

Old 12-20-2013, 05:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wait-to-Start light coming on? CEL illuminated? Was it the ICP (vice the IPR) that you disconnected? The engine will not run with IPR disconnected. Is the HPOP reservoir full prior to cranking? As a general rule, I would never put an additive (other than an anti-foam that's been recommended by IH, etc) into a PSD as the engine oil is also used in the HP oil system for the injectors. Cheers!
Old 12-20-2013, 05:49 AM

Wait, what is "engine restore" in the oil?
Old 12-20-2013, 05:50 AM

Nevermind
Can RESTORE be used in diesel engines?
Yes, RESTORE is effective in diesel engines. We recommend using it only in diesel engines that have "common rail" fuel injection systems. It is not formulated for use in HEUI fuel systems which are used in Ford Powerstroke diesel engines.

Drain oil, fill with cheap oil, crank it for a while, till it runs. Run it hard, drain it and put in good fresh oil.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:01 AM

Wait to start is coming on, cell comes on for a sec when I turn the key but quickly goes out, and yes I got my sensors mixed up sorry lol. I guess I could try changing the oil because I have tried everything else

Old 12-20-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Drain oil, fill with cheap oil, crank it for a while, till it runs. Run it hard, drain it and put in good fresh oil.
This. And if you have any more of that "Restore" stuff left, pour it into your drain pan with the old oil, so it goes to the waste oil recycler where it belongs.

A good heavy-duty diesel oil should have all the anti-foam capability this engine needs. Nothing other than that should ever go into the crankcase of any engine that uses crankcase oil hydraulically.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:04 AM

Would this really cause it to not run at all? I used the synthetic Lucas oil before that said it was made for powerstrojs and it caused it to surge really bad at idle but it still ran.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:13 AM

If changing the oil does not work, any advice on finding a good diesel mechanic? I live in bogalusa LA and I have called a few repair shops and they all told me that they do not work on diesels.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:14 AM

I agrre with madpogue on oils having the anti-foam additives in it. The stuff recommended by IH was used to combat foaming caused by silicons in sealants and such (the additives in oil do deplete over time ... one of the reasons PSDs like fresh oil). Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.