96 f350 cold start question. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 04:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 f350 cold start question.

Not sure if this is a problem but figured I would post here in case it is. Again I am new to owning a diesel. It's finally gotten "cold" here in Florida, whopping 40*. The last two mornings when I start my truck it wouldn't fire up after first glow plug cycle. I had to cycle the glow plugs again and it fired right up no problem. Once started it purred like a kitten no lagging or loud "clacking". I've search the forums and some say this could be a sign of injectors going bad? Or is this normal? Thanks for any help and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i would test your glow plug relay first then maybe glow plugs. look it up on youtube, there are some videos that show you how. if you want to know if your o-rings are getting bad an easy way is to check your fuel filter and see if its black. that'd be oil if it is and caused by injector o-rings getting worn. but i would start with the relay. also a very easy test. make sure your meter u test with is on DC voltage.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:48 AM

I read that also. I haven't had time to check anything yet because of work schedule. I get a couple days off next week so will look into it then. This morning was the coldest it's been all year, took 3 cycles to get her started. I hear what I believe is the GPR click when I turn the key forward.?., so I'm assuming its working. I will check it out next week to be sure. Has anyone who knows their rig is 100% that has to cycle the glow plugs more than once to get it to fire? Just wondering, if assuming everything is functioning properly, if at colder temps with no block heater is multiple cycles of the GP normal? Thanks again
Old 12-19-2013, 06:52 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96f350powerstroke View Post
I read that also. I haven't had time to check anything yet because of work schedule. I get a couple days off next week so will look into it then. This morning was the coldest it's been all year, took 3 cycles to get her started. I hear what I believe is the GPR click when I turn the key forward.?., so I'm assuming its working. I will check it out next week to be sure. Has anyone who knows their rig is 100% that has to cycle the glow plugs more than once to get it to fire? Just wondering, if assuming everything is functioning properly, if at colder temps with no block heater is multiple cycles of the GP normal? Thanks again
Theres definitely something up with it. 40 is nothing for a diesel, its not until you start getting to teens and single digit temps where it starts to not like you. I would start with your GP system. A florida truck has never really had its GP system really tested so you never really notice that its going out until you get a "cold" day. Read this it will tell you how to test Troubleshooting GPR & GP's
Old 12-19-2013, 06:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

mine started first try this morning. its 15 degrees and it wasnt plugged in. i got new batteries and glow plugs. you can hear gpr click even when its getting weak. best way to know for sure is to meter it. my money is on glow plugs or gpr or combination of both. both testable, easily replaced, and fairly inexpensive. its a good sarting point
Old 12-19-2013, 06:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

wow rammstein beautiful trucks
Old 12-19-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troylj View Post
wow rammstein beautiful trucks
First off I agree!! Second thanks for the info. I know 40 isn't cold which is why I thought there may be an issue. Thanks for the link, ill be runnin tests Monday. Ill update when I find the problem. Thanks again!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:02 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96f350powerstroke View Post
First off I agree!! Second thanks for the info. I know 40 isn't cold which is why I thought there may be an issue. Thanks for the link, ill be runnin tests Monday. Ill update when I find the problem. Thanks again!
Thanks guys I like the CCLB OBS you have. Ill trade you OBSs

But yea at 40 it should have absolutely no problems starting, hell thats t-shirt weather here
Old 12-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you're "cycling" the glow plugs by turning the key off when the WTS light goes off, and turning it back on again, that's a complete waste of time, and just more wear-and-tear on the relay. The glow plugs stay on considerably longer than the WTS light, up to two minutes. Just leave the key in RUN for an extra 10-15 seconds. But indeed, if it actually requres that extra GP run time to start, then you need to test the glow plugs, the relay AND the wiring from the relay to the UVCH connectors.
RedneckYankee likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madpogue For This Useful Post:
96f350powerstroke (12-19-2013), RedneckYankee (12-20-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 08:38 AM
allergic to hot weather

Send a message via AIM to 95and05 Send a message via MSN to 95and05
I would assume glow plugs ate an issue but also there has to be something els.

All of my trucks from 1992 - 2010 will start at 30* no problem without allowing glow plugs to cycle at all (not recommended). I am a little harder on my trucks occasionally as I am a firefighter and will sometimes just crank and roll.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.