96 f350 with a different glow plug relay - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 f350 with a different glow plug relay

wondering why my glow plug relay is different from all the other ones i see. mine has 2 terminals directly across from eachother and a 2 wire plug in on the side. i read that cali trucks had a different style glow plug relay but pretty sure mine is not one because it doesnt have the c on the end of the model number on the valve cover and also it was built in kentucky. wondering if i can use the normal 4 post relay and just do away with the plug-in part
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Any chance we can see a picture of the relay?
Old 12-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

C on the end of the valve cover?

Mine has no C and it is a California emissions truck
Old 12-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

not sure how to get a picture on here... and it should say A215C on passenger side valve cover across from year. i will work on getting a pic up
Old 12-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Old 12-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Make a photobucket account
Old 12-15-2013, 06:32 PM

The early trucks (like my 94) used a relay that had the control wires plugged in with a weathrepack connector. I've never heard of a 96 having one, but I guess it's possible. Ford used to sell a kit that had the 4-post relay like you normally see and a pigtail that converted the weatherpack connector out to wires with ring terminals. You could get the 4-post relay (I would get the Western Plow or White-Rodgers) and just cut off the weatherpack connector and splice on some ring terminals. Cheers!
Old 12-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

when i ordered parts in i bought a relay from xdp just to have around for when mine went out and never put 2 an 2 together until it actually came in and i looked at it. on the xdp website they dont even have a different option for glow plug relays from 94-03. so maybe i could use this one and just do away with the plug?
The Following User Says Thank You to troylj For This Useful Post:
RedneckYankee (12-15-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troylj View Post
when i ordered parts in i bought a relay from xdp just to have around for when mine went out and never put 2 an 2 together until it actually came in and i looked at it. on the xdp website they dont even have a different option for glow plug relays from 94-03. so maybe i could use this one and just do away with the plug?
That is because the relay that patrick is talking about for the 94 is obsoleted. They have been replaced by the 95-03 ones. You would need to retrofit the 95-03 solenoid to fit the 94. NOT a big deal. But ALSO, like he said, it was a 94 thing, your 96 should not have it
Old 12-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
wondering why my glow plug relay is different from all the other ones i see. mine has 2 terminals directly across from eachother and a 2 wire plug in on the side. i read that cali trucks had a different style glow plug relay but pretty sure mine is not one because it doesnt have the c on the end of the model number on the valve cover and also it was built in kentucky. wondering if i can use the normal 4 post relay and just do away with the plug-in part
Quote:
PM on the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.