Starter stuck on with no key...need Starter Solenoid advice... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 12:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Haku
Starter stuck on with no key...need Starter Solenoid advice...

Hey guys,

So I just bought a 99' F250 truck about a week ago and already am having some issues (and this is my first post). Not sure if it is cold weather related, but I'm sure it was part of it (its been in single digits a bunch over the last week here).

When I bought the truck the guy drove it to the meeting place so I was a bit worried about its cold start abilities, but the day before I was having this issue it started up and drove just fine in 20 degree weather, which made me happy since Glow Plugs seemed to be working like they should.

The next day it was a bit colder and I just wanted to see how it did, so I tried starting it up, and it didn't seem to want to, so I figured I'd give it a minute to let the glow plugs warm stuff up a bit more, but when I turned the key off the starter kept going, and no amount of turning the key changed anything.

So I rushed to open the hood as the starter kept cranking and I tried tapping the starter solenoid on the passenger wall to see if it was stuck open with no effect. At that point the batteries were near dead, but it was still slowly cranking away, and the only thing that stopped it was taking the lead off the battery.

So I figured it might have frozen something up in the solenoid and let it sit overnight with no battery hooked up and came back in the morning and as soon as I reconnected the battery it started trying to crank over again.

It seems to me the solenoid is dead, but I'm wondering which part is the culprit. Looking at parts stores, there is the one on fender well in the engine compartment (a buddy says his is on top of the block, but most of what I read has it on the side of the fender), but that its possible that the one on the starter itself could possibly be it?

I'm completely new to this vehicle and working on it, and there is only one other case I've seen of a similar thing happening and there was no clear remedy beyond "replace the solenoid". Just curious which one ya'll think might be the problem. Fender well one is easy to replace, but the one attached to the starter is a bit harder but still not horrible, but I'd rather not do any work I don't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The RELAY is on the fender. The SOLENOID (the ONLY one) is on the starter. On the relay, one big terminal has a bunch of wires (that's the "source"; it's a junction for the rest of the truck's electrical system) and the other has a single wire (that's the wire to the starter solenoid). Disconnect that single wire, charge the batteries and reconnect them. If the starter no longer runs, the relay is the prime suspect. If it still runs, the solenoid is what's probably stuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.