96 jerking little throttle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 jerking little throttle

hey guys just bought my 96 about 6 months ago and have a shutter/ slight jerk under light throttle. It only does it in OD with light throttle or going up hill in lower rpm. If the truck downshifts it pulls hard but in od it will jerk a little feels like its not making good hp but still pulls. The truck does a ts chip and it seems to be working fine does the same thing in stock mode.
Truck has fresh oil change/ all filters, replaced injector harness pigtails had two burnt plugs which i though were my issue. I have a AE scanner and truck passes all test. though some of my injectors seem not as strong as the others. Not sure What is going on and any help would be great. Truck has good power but doesn't build boost at cruising speeds say 60 mph i have maybe 1 pound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 150
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Running into same issue but havnt done any scanning, I am attributing it to a fuel issue cause as OP stated only in OD low RPMs light throttle. If I roll harder it will clear and go on or if it downshifts same thing just go on like nothing. I am guessing pump may be going as with low RPM(no pump speed compared to higher RPM) and hard load pump isn't putting out what it should for the load.

Am I thinking of this correctly? I am going to check pressure at Schrader valve tomorrow shouldnty it be 60 PSI for a good pump?

Also forgot to mention, new oil/filter, new fuel filter, FPR screen clean as a whistle, no fuel leaks, stock tuning, new Glow plugs(so not shorting anything out), new UVCH both sides, oil level good, new CPS. This has only recently started happening within the last few hundred miles.

Last edited by That Other Guy; 12-15-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 150
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wow out of this entire forum and 130+ views and all the people who own OBS 7.3s no one has had or heard of the issue that the OP and I are having?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 12-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 150
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok so since there are still no responses to this thread ill post up what I have been reading about my fuel pump.

I am suspecting its my pump for the reason it only does it at low rpm and light throttle so its just not putting out a lot cause no demand and its a mechanical pump. I have read that its still good if you have 45 psi at the Schrader valve on the fuel bowl but that its best to see it hang at 65 psi while at idle and so on.

I understand that its normal for the gauge to jump around a lot as its mechanical and only pumps every time the cam eccentric hits it but mine jumped from below 40 to above 60 never once gave me a steady number and this was at idle. Is my pump ok cause what im thinking or I guess wanting to think is that its going bad being as the low side of the reading was below 40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Valley, WA
Posts: 957
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
Ok so since there are still no responses to this thread ill post up what I have been reading about my fuel pump.

I am suspecting its my pump for the reason it only does it at low rpm and light throttle so its just not putting out a lot cause no demand and its a mechanical pump. I have read that its still good if you have 45 psi at the Schrader valve on the fuel bowl but that its best to see it hang at 65 psi while at idle and so on.

I understand that its normal for the gauge to jump around a lot as its mechanical and only pumps every time the cam eccentric hits it but mine jumped from below 40 to above 60 never once gave me a steady number and this was at idle. Is my pump ok cause what im thinking or I guess wanting to think is that its going bad being as the low side of the reading was below 40.
Sounds more like the regulator for the jumpy pressure. Mine is smooth.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 12-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 150
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was thinking that even with the fuel pump only hitting when the eccentric hits that it shouldn't matter and the regulator should keep a steady pressure as you say, am I thinking correctly in that or is it not the case since soon as there is pressure its used by the running engine.

Anyway is there a way to test my regulator on the truck or is it just something I gotta throw a part at cause I don't feel like doing that.

Also would this cause the low rpm low demand surge, it gets real bad if I just let it happen so I either give more throttle or let out cause im slowing in town or whatever reason I don't need to keep going.

Either way its not a huge issue cause it doesn't happen all the time but I can make it happen everytime at low rpm low demand if I so chose which id rather not but just makes me feel something is going south(especially since its gotta worse the past few hundred miles).

Its just an old farm truck but its my old farm truck I have no payment on and I like it that way but id rather not get stranded by ole trusty rusty when the wife or daughter or both are with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 12-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Valley, WA
Posts: 957
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
I was thinking that even with the fuel pump only hitting when the eccentric hits that it shouldn't matter and the regulator should keep a steady pressure as you say, am I thinking correctly in that or is it not the case since soon as there is pressure its used by the running engine.

Anyway is there a way to test my regulator on the truck or is it just something I gotta throw a part at cause I don't feel like doing that.

Also would this cause the low rpm low demand surge, it gets real bad if I just let it happen so I either give more throttle or let out cause im slowing in town or whatever reason I don't need to keep going.

Either way its not a huge issue cause it doesn't happen all the time but I can make it happen everytime at low rpm low demand if I so chose which id rather not but just makes me feel something is going south(especially since its gotta worse the past few hundred miles).
Can you make a video of it. Is this a Auto? Cause I'm almost thinking all Fords do this it's just something your not used to. If I had a video I would know. Txt or email or post it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 12-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 150
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I can get a vid if you like but you really wouldn't be able to hear or see it happening unless it was on the dash and you can tell when the camera rocks from it. I highly doubt that all fords do this cause I have driven many 7.3 trucks while in the AF for my job and NONE did this I have also driven 6.0 and 6.4s but they are a different animal when it comes to fueling.

This particular truck I bought from a guy I have known for years and have ridden in it before and it never did it nor did he ever complain of it, it didn't do it when I first got it back on the road either just recently started occurring. Yes its an auto its the truck in the sig but the trans had a fresh rebuild before it was parked(5 years in a field) but all wiring issues are fixed and run through the truck is dead reliable but just having this small issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 12-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Valley, WA
Posts: 957
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
I can get a vid if you like but you really wouldn't be able to hear or see it happening unless it was on the dash and you can tell when the camera rocks from it. I highly doubt that all fords do this cause I have driven many 7.3 trucks while in the AF for my job and NONE did this I have also driven 6.0 and 6.4s but they are a different animal when it comes to fueling.

This particular truck I bought from a guy I have known for years and have ridden in it before and it never did it nor did he ever complain of it, it didn't do it when I first got it back on the road either just recently started occurring. Yes its an auto its the truck in the sig but the trans had a fresh rebuild before it was parked(5 years in a field) but all wiring issues are fixed and run through the truck is dead reliable but just having this small issue.
Oh ok. I didn't know if you had driven a few 7.3s. Well the electronic throttle peddle can do stuff, cam sensor. A video would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 12-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Valley, WA
Posts: 957
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabegoforth View Post
Oh ok. I didn't know if you had driven a few 7.3s. Well the electronic throttle peddle can do stuff, cam sensor. A video would be nice.
I'm just thinking that the truck is lugging and your noticing it. Is it similar to a manual. Cause the autos in these trucks like to stay locked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors