Dies at idle, random shudder under throttle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dies at idle, random shudder under throttle

95 f250 started dying at idle, I need some help to fix it. I took a 3 hour drive last Friday with no issues, and drove it Saturday as well. when I got in the truck on Sunday, I started it and it ran for about 45 seconds and then shut off like I had turned the key off. Every time I'd stop at a red light it would shut off within 30 seconds, and driving down the road I would get a random shudder but otherwise runs okay Under throttle. I changed out the CPS and that did nothing to fix the issue. It is leaking fuel into the valley but it has had a leak for about a month now. I haven't had time to address the issue, as this is my business truck. Any guidance to get this truck going is appreciated. I need it running again Ricky tick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check the fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel bowl. at idle it should be around 50-60 psi. Be careful when removing the gauge, fuel will shoot out of it. Any tire gauge will work.

Got any smoke at idle or when cruising? You may need to have someone follow you for a bit to see if smoking while cruising.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No smoke while running in the driveway..ill check the fuel pressure when I get home this evening. Would there be something to cause a sudden drop of fuel pressure at idle to make it just turn off? I've had weak fuel pumps that would make a vehicle idle rough before, but never just shut off like you turned the key off...and then fire right back up.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:52 AM

You more than likely have a dying fuel pump. I just fixed my 05 and had the exact same symptoms. Save money and start there. Mine drove fine sometimes and sometimes just idled really rough, as if it were a heavily cammed gasser and it died on me three times while driving. One time it turned right back on and other two times I had to get towed and a few hours later it'd turn on like normal as if nothing happened. My guess is the dying pump would heat up or overwork and die and after cooling down it'd fire right up.

Good luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by mad103; 11-27-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh great. Well ill check the pressure this evening and that should be an indication. How much is a fuel pump for these things? Its mounted on top of the motor correct?
Old 11-27-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedutyunfolded1 View Post
Oh great. Well ill check the pressure this evening and that should be an indication. How much is a fuel pump for these things? Its mounted on top of the motor correct?
Mine was on the frame rail under the driver's side seat. Idk about yours but find out what the exact part number is and look for it on ebay. I got quoted $500 at my local dealership and found it on ebay for sale by a dealership in chicago for $240-$290, I don't remember exactly. I think it was called geiser ford. Install on mine was pretty easy I did it myself with basic tools and fuel disconnect tool.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've got the tools to do it, I've just never messed with powerstrokes before. All of my previous diesels were cummins..but I've never had a fuel pump go bad on a diesel that I've owned before
Old 11-27-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedutyunfolded1 View Post
I've got the tools to do it, I've just never messed with powerstrokes before. All of my previous diesels were cummins..but I've never had a fuel pump go bad on a diesel that I've owned before
You are steps ahead of me. I've learned to work on my powerstroke with no previous experience in any diesels. Google geiser ford in roanoke il and ask them for a quote or model number and shop around. Again my local dealership charged almost $500 just for the part and I paid like $250 plus small s/h from geiser

Old 11-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Rockauto has them for my truck for as cheap as 68 bucks. Ill check the pressure and if its not 50-60 psi ill see if I can find a deal on a pump locally. I need this truck running asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.