Coolant leak on left front of engine. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant leak on left front of engine.

I started noticing a slight hot glycol smell when stopped and noticed my coolant going down in my reseviour but no visible drips. Tonight I noticed a drip from the bell housing. During inspection I traced the drip back to the front left side of the motor somewhere near the front part of the block heater. It seems to leak under pressure while driving. I could not make it leak idling in the driveaway. Does not appear to be the water pump. Any ideas what it is? Has anyone else had this happen? What do I need to fix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 01:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's gotta be the oil cooler leaking .
Old 11-21-2013, 05:16 AM

I believe there's a hole in the water pump that lets the coolant out when the seal goes south. What year is it? I had to change my '96 water pump in '08. Hope it's not the pump. lot of work changing it. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We have a 95 F350 and also had started seeing a coolant loose from the resevour and we where needing to take a 600 mile RT to Idaho. So we made sure we took a 5gal jug of water. Well after we got to Idaho we did find a Pin Hole in one of the smaller Coolant lines that come out of the Res. and make a tee and found that the hose had rubbed up on the trucks frame. Well we where albe to return home making sure we kept the Res. Full. But Ford does not supply those hose's anylonger and we tryed to get at like NAPA or other Auto Part's, but we could not find anywhere. And since this hose had Factory made Tee fittings, we had to go to the part's store and make up all the different tees and sizes. But look at the smaller hoses near and under the Res. area. And see if yours may also have rubbed up on the frame of the truck and casued a Pin Hole in the Hose. What a Time tring to firgure this one out. And before we left we had replace all new Anti-Freeze Coolant. And Remember you also have to get from only Ford a specal Coolant Fluid for that 7.3 Engine also. But again look at all the different Coolant Hose's, and there are MANY on this, and see if one or more of the hoses have gone bad. Good Luck
Old 11-23-2013, 09:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck is a 1996.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.