No WTS light, Truck runs fine, But starts HARD. !!HELP!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No WTS light, Truck runs fine, But starts HARD. !!HELP!!

Hey all I am new to this forum and im having a problem. Tried to search function but all related problems to mine dealt with a no run issue that I don't have.

Got a 96 all stock cab chassis 7.3 4x4 auto power stroke. Love the truck! Been getting cold here in nj and all of a sudden the wait to start light will not come on at first it was just in the morning when it was cold. (the light would actually come on when starting after the truck had been driven for a while and then shut off). I noticed it a few weeks ago but it wasn't cold enough to matter the truck started right up. And now the light never comes on warm or cold. This week we had a few nights in the low 30s to high 20s and the next morning man did she start hard. No starting fluid needed (thank god) but it took lots of cranking and def loading up of the cylinder evident by the diesel smoke while cranking and the huge puff it let out once it started.

So I know the glow plugs are not coming on. There is no WTS light and I can hear the click noise that the solenoid makes when it shuts off BUT it happens no more then a second after turning the key. I know its common for the PCM fuse to blow due to a fuel heater problem. I do not believe this is my problem because other then starting hard in the morning my truck runs perfect.

Where do I go from here? Could it be the glow plug control module? Or is it something with the computer not telling the module to turn the plugs on? I read something about having issues if one battery is bad? I put the charger on 40a on both batteries (at separate times) to see if that made the WTS light come on but it didn't. I will load test the batteries tomorrow at my fathers place but I think the batteries are ok.....?

Thanks in advance !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would check Underhood fuse #22 with a meter anyway just to rule it out. I would also disconnect the fuel heater. There have been instances when the heater was intermittently shorting, but didn't blow the fuse. Both batteries and starter have a huge effect on starting. The starters do slow over time although you may not notice it. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.