F250 7.3 throttle position sensor, codes P1531, P1705, PO476, PO282 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 07:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F250 7.3 throttle position sensor, codes P1531, P1705, PO476, PO282

I can’t find a throttle position sensor for my 1995 7.3 liter, even from Ford. The part that NAPA provided as ‘the part’ didn’t have the right plugs, & the part numbers didn’t match. Maybe it isn't a throttle position sensor? If someone could look at the pictures below & let me know if they even recognize the proper name of this part, it is on the floor wall that is directly behind the throttle pedal & is bolted with 2 screws (pics are supposed to attach properly below). I was wondering if anyone is more able to locate this part then I, & can let me know where it’s found. I tried to attach some pictures of both plug ends & the data on the part (because I can’t figure out which set of data is the actual ‘necessary’ part number), the pictures should show at the bottom here & here is all the part data on the part in the same order they’re on the part:

FORD
PBT G3D
CTS
F57F 9F832
BA 5C27B

Also, my truck is acting up something serious right now that manifests by completely dying when you go into any lower acceleration-it starts a couple times before completely not starting anymore. In one week of this month it stranded me a couple days in Thermopolis, WY, then overnight in Moses Lake, WA. These are far away locations that are not ideal to be stuck in, it was a mess. It seems to try to run at higher acceleration before it dies completely unable to start-stays down a couple days, then suddenly will out of no where will just start working again. The truck is not stable for safe travel & fortunately it started acting up with a diagnostic tool near. Here’s the codes it is giving, in addition to that it reads 0.78v at the pedal but there is no pressing on the pedal happening. Codes:

P1531 ACC PEDAL MOVEMENT
P1705
PO476 EXHAUST PRESSURE CONTROL VALVE PERFORM
PO282 #8 INJECTOR CIRCUIT LOW (does this mean an injector is out or the UCVH?)

W/KOEO OBSERVE EBP PID
COMPARE PID READING W/DMM

Can anyone tell me in easier terms anything that can help me understand what this all may mean? I’m trying to resolve this to get the truck in a happier place again so it can be used for trips again. It seems to be so complicated right now it’s hard to know what to do, where to start, & that it isn’t an expensive hit-and-miss experience again. So far replaced:

Cam position sensor (IS a FORD part), ICP sensor, Glow Plug Relay, 6 injectors (not since a year ago though & do not know if #8 was one of them). Here is some picture attempts of the throttle position sensor part, maybe that isn't the right name for it?
-img_1311.jpg

-img_1349.jpg

-img_1337.jpg

Last edited by nightofstars; 11-04-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: listed wrong number of injectors replaced & cleared up symptom better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The TPS (Ford might call it the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor) for the OBS trucks that is available in the aftermarket is the Dorman 699-200. If you want factory, you have to buy the entire pedal assembly (F6TZ-9F836-AA). Cheers!
Old 05-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also am having problems with a 95 F350 Throttle position sensor.[7.3 engine] Symtoms are : truck starts but there is no tthrottle response until it warms up. Then it seems to slowly come to life. I removed the pedal assembly and checked the idle validation switch with a continuity meter and it seem to be working OK. I bought an after market TPS from Oreilly and it didn't respond at all so put the old one back and then I have throttle response , I suppose because the engine had warmed up by then. I thought maybe the truck would be driveable once it was warm but when pulling out into traffic I lost throttle responce momentarily but got it back when I kicked the petal. Could be scarey. I don't understand why temp is a factor but it sure seems to be. Now I'm wondering it I should look for the oil temp sender if there is such a thing. An other thing that might be of interest. My truck is a 95 but has a 99TPS. I don't know how or why or if that is part of my problem or your problem . the picture you posted is for a 99 7.3.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:16 PM

This could be a back pressure sensor or turbo waste gate

Mine is having some of the very same symptoms. It is giving readings on a scanner that say it is the under valve cover gaskets and Injector eight. So the undercover gaskets were both changed. The codes were cleared. After re-scanning, the same error messages came up again. This is getting confusing. While the weather was cold, the symptoms similar to your 95 PowerStroke were occurring. I had to literally turn the truck off, then restart it, to get it to move forward. When the warm weather arrived, strangely the truck began to move forward without having to turn it off and restart it. The codes also have been giving a reading about the back pressure sensor. This TURBO is not very old, and has had minimal use since it was purchased. The wastegate issue is going to be expensive if it is what is wrong. That means changing on entire TURBO again. It is kind of confusing why the truck began to move forward, accelerating forward when the weather got warmer. If anyone has a clue what these symptoms can mean please post right away it is very useful information as to what could specifically be going on here. Bananas I was saying confusing, why the under valve cover harness code came up again after both harnesses were fully changed to brand-new ones. Thank you for any information that might offer clues. And hope some of this information may be useful to others. I just want to take my 1995 F250 PowerStroke on one nice trip without it breaking down. It has a new engine and everything, I just don't get why technical things keep on not going well. I think I need someone with good information relative to the earlier 1995 versions. Mine is a May 1995 PowerStroke. I heard there were issues with these earlier 1995's, so corrections were made to the second part of 1995 PowerStroke's. I wish it wasn't this hard. Even mechanics have put it on scanners, never have resolution answers been arrived at yet. I have to make a note here, that when my truck began not accelerating forward unless it had been turned off then restarted, this was a symptom occurring while it was fully warmed up. It lessened with the coming warm weather. During the cold weather though, right before the warm weather arrived, it actually stopped moving forward even if you had shut it off and restarted it. So turning it off and restarting it had begun to not work any longer.

Last edited by nightofstars; 05-06-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had a chance this morning to talk briefly to the ford diesel expert at the local dealership about my lack of throddle response and how temp might be a factor. He said the air temp sensor tells the computor ambient temp. My next step is to test or replace that sensor. But honestly I'm shooting in the dark. I did solve my water in fuel lite on. Evidently my filter drain is plugged so I sucked out the fuel and wiped it dry with rag and when I finished the wif lite was out. Thats progress.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

This is why, as mentioned in your other thread, a live-data device is the way to go. Seems expensive, but if you plan on keeping the truck, and using it just a few times saves you the expense of a handful of expensive parts (esp. sensors), it pays for itself.

Our trucks don't have a wastegate, BTW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.